Arshad Dudhia | Managing Partner | Musa Dudhia & Co.
Recognised as one of Zambia’s pre-eminent corporate lawyers, Arshad has peculiar expertise in commercial litigation and commercial transactions. He has represented a wide range of clients from both the public and private sector, including investment banks, retail banks, ﬁnancial institutions, private equity providers, and international development institutions. Arshad has renowned expertise in providing advice on lending and acquisition ﬁnancing, asset ﬁnancing, project and corporate ﬁnance, and ﬁnancial regulatory issues. Furthermore, he is exceptionally skilled at the preparation of the full spectrum of ﬁnancial product documentation. Consistently praised for his unwavering client focus, Arshad has assisted numerous clients in resolving their disputes eﬃciently and eﬀectively, whether through litigation, arbitration or mediation.
Since his appointment as Managing Partner in 2006 Arshad has overseen signiﬁcant growth at Musa Dudhia & Co. Under his leadership, the ﬁrm has quadrupled in size.
Membership in Professional Societies
- Member Law Association of Zambia
- Member, Law Society of England and Wales
- Member, Arbitration Association of Zambia
- Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Law Association of Zambia Representative on the User Committee of the Commercial Court
- Member, Law Association of Zambia Continuing Professional Development Committee
- Board Member; Woolies Zambia Limited – 2014 to date
- Member, Axis Advisory Board Zambia – 2014 to date
- Board Member; iWay Africa Limited – 2011 to date
- Board Member; Nestle Trading Zambia Limited – 2010 to date
- Board Member, Emerson Process Management Zambia Limited – 2008 to date
- Company Secretary, Pick n Pay Zambia – 2011 – 2016
- Board Member, Banc ABC Zambia – 2010 – 2016
- Board Member, Zoona – 2008 – to date
- Board Member; Africa Legal Network (Mauritius)
- Advocate, High Court of Zambia
- Solicitor, Supreme Court of England and Wales
- Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- LL.B (Hons.), Kings College, University of London, England
- 2006 to Date: Managing Partner, Musa Dudhia & Company
- 2005: Secondment to Kaplan & Stratton
- 1999 – 2006: Partner, Musa Dudhia & Company
- 1992 – 1999: Associate, Musa Dudhia & Company
Awards & Accolades
- “Clients highlight Arshad Dudhia and describe him as “exceptionally good at what he does.” Market commentators respect him for his activity in the market, in particular the commercial and M&A ” – Chambers Global 2017
- “Managing partner Arshad Dudhia has notable expertise handling commercial transactions and disputes” –The Legal500
- “A client working with Arshad on an acquisition ﬁnance deal, says…Arshad Dudhia “is a senior lawyer but very commercially astute, extremely knowledgeable, practical, and well-respected in the market” – IFLR1000 (Financial and Corporate)
- Arshad is individually ranked as a Leading Lawyer – Highly Regarded by the IFLR1000 2018 Financial and Corporate
- Arshad has consistently received Band 1 individual ranking in litigation and business law by Chambers and Partners for over 12 years including the year 2017
Areas of Expertise
- Banking and Finance
- Capital Markets
- Corporate M&A
- Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency
- Energy, Natural and Renewable Resources
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Acting as local counsel in the sale of a significantly large mining company in Africa to Jinchuan Group Limited.
- Acting as local counsel in advising the International Finance Corporation and the Government of Zambia on the US$1.5 billion Kafue Gorge Dam construction project.
- Acting as local counsel in advising and due diligence for the financing of Northwest Energy Corporation, which is distributing electricity to Lumwana Property Development Company as part of the Equinox Minerals Mining Development in North-western Zambia.
- Acting as lead counsel in the acquisition of a majority stake in a marble mine in Zambia which required the consent of the Ministry of Mines and establishing a debt repayment schedule as part of the purchase price.
- Representing TEAL Mining, a South African listed company, in the acquisition of surface rights for its mining activities in the Copperbelt.
- Advising on the successful listing on the Alternative Investment Market of the London Stock Exchange by Zambeef Products Plc, Zambia’s first London cross-listing.
- Acting as lead counsel in Zambia’s first mandatory offer of minority interests at a cost of US $100 million to Bharti Airtel.