Stephen Zimula | Partner | MMAKS Advocates
Stephen works with the Litigation and Conveyance team of the firm. He holds an LL.B (Hons) Degree of Makerere University, a Diploma in legal practice from the Law Development Centre and a Diploma in Trial Advocacy from the National Institute of Trial Advocacy, America.
Stephen was admitted to the Uganda Bar in January 2006. He specialises in commercial litigation, conveyancing, land and property laws and recoveries.
Membership in Professional Societies
- Uganda Law Society
- East African Law Society
- Advocate, High Court of Uganda
- Diploma in Trial Advocacy, National Institute of Trial Advocacy, USA
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Law Development Centre (LDC), Uganda
- B (Hons.), Makerere University, Uganda
2017 to date: Partner, MMAKS Advocates
2011 to 2016: Senior Associate, MMAKS Advocates
2006 to 2011: Associate, MMAKS Advocates
2005 to 2006: Lecturer, Kampala International University
2005 to 2006: Legal Assistant, Adriko & Karugaba Advocates
Areas of Expertise
- Commercial Litigation
- Land and Property Laws
- Acting for Barclays Bank and Diamond Trust Bank Uganda against Betuco Uganda in recovering a sum of close to USD 15million.
- Acting for Standard Chartered Bank and Stanbic Uganda in a suit involving recovery of approximately USD 40 million
- Advising a number of both local and international clients on the acquisition of various properties in Uganda.
- Acting for a seed Company in the acquisition of various properties in Uganda worth USD 3 million.
- Acting for various Commercial Banks in Uganda in the recovery of both secured and unsecured debts.
- Acting for the Central Bank in a suit involving fraudulent acquisition and Conveyance of Securities encumbered by the Plaintiff to secure a debt facility of USD 20 million.