Isaac Walukagga | Partner| MMAKS Advocates
Isaac is a Partner with the Firm and he is part of the Litigation team. He focuses on areas of general commercial litigation with emphasis in debt recovery, employment, tax, insurance and commodity disputes. Isaac has considerable experience in the area of Civil fraud and Criminal matters and has participated in some of the ground breaking cases in this area.
Isaac attended a secondment to the corporate and commercial department of Stephenson Harwood, London, England. He additionally attended secondments at 3 Verulam Buildings and Essex Court Chambers. Both of these sets have leading Barristers in the United Kingdom. During these secondments, Isaac gained great exposure and experience in various areas of litigation.
Isaac is a Senior Lecturer at the Law Development Centre, the Ugandan Bar School, where he conducts lectures in Civil Proceedings and Commercial Transactions.
Membership in Professional Societies
- Member, International Bar Association
- Member, Commonwealth Lawyers Association
- Member, East African Law Society
- Member, Uganda Law Society
- Advocate, High Court of Uganda
- Alumnus, International Law Institute
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Law Development Centre (Uganda)
- LL.B, Makerere University, Uganda
2013 – Date: Partner, MMAKS Advocates
2010 – 2012: Senior Associate, MMAKS Advocates
2006 – 2012: Associate, MMAKS Advocates
2005 – 2011: Senior Assistant, MMAKS Advocates
2003 – 2005: Assistant, Mugerwa & Masembe Advocates.
Areas of Expertise
- General Commercial Litigation (Including Commercial fraud)
- Commodity disputes
- Construction and Engineering
- Commercial Arbitration
- Insurance and Reinsurance
- Shipping and Commodities
- General Criminal Law
- Successfully acting for a multinational company in the Supreme Court in a commercial dispute involving supply of drugs on credit, the value of the subject matter being in the excess of USD 30,000.
- Acting for a Statutory body in a construction dispute in the High Court, the total value of the subject matter in excess of USD 20,000.
- Successfully defending civil fraud claim premised on a money lending transaction in the sum of USD 90,000.
- Successfully defending an international pharmaceutical company is a botched joint venture related litigation wherein the subject matter exceeded USD 1 million.
- Representing a Ugandan Company against the Rwanda Civil Aviation Authority in the COMESA Court of justice, the dispute involving a sum in excess of USD 25,000.
- Representing a former Government employee at the High Court in a prosecution involving a sum in the excess of USD 9 million.
- Representing a Statutory body in the High Court in litigation involving enforcement of an Advance Payment Guarantee, the value of the subject matter being in excess of USD 3 million.
- Representing an international bank at the Court of Appeal in an employment dispute whose value exceeds USD 600,000.
- Representing a pharmaceutical company in the Court of Appeal in a land dispute who value exceeds USD 300,000.
- Successfully defending a prominent businessman in a civil fraud case involving a sum of USD 3 million.
- Representing a road construction company in a stone pitching dispute at the High Court, the value of the subject matter being in excess of USD 20,000
- Representing a leading Ugandan businessman at the High Court in a prosecution involving a sum in the region of USD 6 million.
- Successfully defending a warehousing multi-national corporation in a litigation involving lost property valued in excess of USD 500,000.