Fiona N. Magona | Partner | MMAKS Advocates
Fiona is a Partner in the corporate team at MMAKS Advocates. She has previously worked with leading firms in Johannesburg and Kampala.
Fiona specialises in corporate mergers and acquisitions, private equity, mining, energy and natural resources, projects and infrastructure and general corporate commercial and regulatory advisory. She has a wealth of experience in both local and multi-jurisdictional mergers and acquisitions cutting across sectors like telecom, insurance, banking, mining and energy. She routinely handles legal due diligences, advises on corporate structuring, negotiates local and cross border transactional agreements, commercial operational agreements. In addition to having an impressive knowledge of the local business and regulatory framework, she routinely advises investors on regulatory compliance, and local licensing regimes. Examples of these are listed further below.
Fiona holds a LLM in commercial law from the University of Birmingham, and has previously served a six months placement at mining giant and former FTSE 100 mining company, Eurasian Natural Resources Corporation (Johannesburg). She has also served under a placement to Slaughter and May in London.
She is a Rotarian, a wife and mother.
- LL.M (Commercial Law), Birmingham University, England
- Diploma in Legal Practice (Bar Course), Law Development Centre, Kampala
- LL.B (Hons.), Makerere University, Uganda
Membership in Professional Societies
- Advocate, High Court of Uganda
- Charter Member, Rotary Club of Kampala Maisha
- Committee Member, Professional Development Committee, Uganda Law Society (ULS)
- Committee Member, Female Lawyers Committee, Uganda Law Society (ULS)
- East Africa Law Society (EALS)
- 2017 – date Partner, MMAKS Advocates
- 2012 – 2017 Senior Associate, MMAKS Advocates
- 2008 – 2012 Senior Associate, Bowman Gilfillan Attorneys, Johannesburg
- 2004 – 2007 Associate, A F Mpanga Advocates
- 2003 – 2004 Clerkship, Kasirye Byaruhanga & Co Advocates
Awards & Accolades
- School of Law Scholarship, Birmingham University, England
- IFLR 1000 named Fiona as one of the names to watch at MMAKS in 2013,
- IFLR 2015 referenced her mining experience.
Areas of Expertise
- Corporate Mergers and Acquisitions
- Private Equity
- Corporate and Regulatory Advisory
- Mining and Energy
- Projects and Infrastructure
- Advising on the acquisition of a telecom operator in Uganda valued at USD $100,000,000;
- Advising on the legalities of a profit sharing business structure involving various entities in Uganda, Dubai and South Africa;
- Advising on a share purchase by a company based in the British Virgin Islands, of a majority stake in a Ugandan Company;
- Advising on a joint venture business structure between a local company and a Chinese company jointly bidding for contracts awarded by the government of Uganda;
- Drafting commercial, operational and service agreements for local financial institutions e.g. Diamond Trust Bank, Crane Bank for mobile money solutions, ATM Cash dispensing, security vetting, e.t.c
- Drafting various opinions to both local and foreign clients on various regulatory issues including and not limited to the regulation of prepaid cards issued by non-financial institutions businesses, the regulation of mobile money payments in Uganda, the regulation of lottery, gaming and betting activities in Uganda (including tax implications), the issue of licenses under the Investment Code Act (Cap 92) and incentives thereunder e.t.c
- Advising on the sale by Barclays Bank of its custody business in various countries across Africa, to Standard Chartered.
- Advising on an asset purchase by Eaton Towers Holdings LLC, from Orange Uganda Limited and Africell Limited (Sierra Leone).
- Attending to a legal due diligence on various Alexander Forbes subsidiaries across Africa, prior to MMC UK Group Limited’s acquisition thereof.
- Advising on various private equity transactions e.g Pinebridge Capital Partners’ investment into Thuthuka Group International, and the Public Investment Corporation’s investment into NURCHA, Africa Finance Corporation into a South African Company, e.t.c.
- Advising on various acquisitions by prominent mining companies in Southern Africa e.g Northam Platinum Limited, ENRC, et.c.
- Negotiating loans for the Airport Company of South Africa from the National Empowerment Fund, the Development Bank of South Africa, the International Finance Corporation, the American Family Life Assurance Company, AFD (France), etc.