MMAKS Advocates has an established reputation for providing strategic advice to clients in high-stakes litigation and dispute resolution matters.
The firm regularly represents corporate and commercial clients before courts, arbitrators, mediators, administrative and statutory tribunals in civil litigation and administrative proceedings.
MMAKS has particular expertise in handling complex, high value banking and finance litigation, including corporate debt recovery and enforcement of securities. The firm has also been involved in a number of ground breaking tax, employment, breach of contract and intellectual property matters.
Recent transactions include:
- Acting for Diageo Brands B.V, UDV Kenya Ltd and Uganda Breweries Ltd in a trademark infringement and passing off action in relation to their Johnnie Walker brand.
- Acting for 14 out of 21 commercial banks in a class suit, in which the levy of bank charges is being contested. Some of the defendant banks we are representing are Bank of Africa Ltd, Bank of Baroda, Barcalys Bank, Cairo International Bank Ltd, Centenary Bank, Crane Bank, DFCU Bank, Diamond Trust Bank, Eco Bank Ltd, Equity Bank, Stanbic and United Bank of Africa.
- Acting for National Housing & Construction Co. Ltd in a suit to recover a US$ 1.8 million performance bond.
- Acting for the Bank of Uganda in a suit involving fraudulent acquisition and conveyance of securities encumbered by the Plaintiffs to secure a debt facility of USD20 million.
- Acting for Barclays Bank and ABSA to defend a suit seeking nullification of a structured agricultural finance facility worth USD29.4 million advanced by the defendants.
- Acting for Colgate Palmolive in a trademark infringement and passing off dispute, seeking injunctive relief against Defendant for unlawful intereference with plaintiff’s rights in the market as registered trademark holder.
- Acting successfully for Kenyan and Tanzanian company in connection with a complex arbitration dispute referred to the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) arising out of a consortium agreement.
For more information on MMAKS Advocates’ litigation and dispute resolution expertise, please contact Timothy Masembe.