MMAKS Advocates’ rapidly growing corporate and commercial team advises entrepreneurs, established businesses, development finance institutions, multilateral lenders, private equity firms, and local and foreign investors on setting up and growing operations in Uganda.
MMAKS Advocates’ detailed knowledge of local practices concerning licensing, permits, regulatory supervision and cross-border due diligence ensures clients receive timely, effective advice.
The firm’s regional footprint also allows the team to advise domestic and regional clients as they expand their business and commercial interests throughout the continent.
The team has acted as local and lead counsel in a wide variety of matters, including:
- Advising KONE Corporation on the purchase of the assets of a company in the elevator and escalator industry in Uganda.
- Acting as local counsel for Reliance Industries on licensing and regulatory matters as well as cross-border due diligence in strategic acquisition of Gapco Group, a regional oil marketer with operations in Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Zanzibar, Sudan, and Ethiopia.
- Advising Africinvest, a leading regional private equity investor, on its investment in a regional pharmaceutical and fast moving consumer goods distributor with subsidiaries in Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda and Burundi
- Advising France Telecom on licensing and regulatory matters, employment issues, land ownership, and due diligence in connection with acquisition of a majority stake in a mobile telecommunications operator in Uganda.
- Acting for TLG Capital, a London based private equity fund, on its acquisition of 20% stake in Vero Foods Industries, a large producer of agricultural products in Uganda.
- Advising on the acquisition of United Assurance Company Limited, a leading insurance company in Uganda. The transaction included conducting due diligence which included reviewing existing contractual arrangements, preparing comprehensive report on the client’s property portfolio (including a review of leases) and undertaking a review of litigation matters.
For more information on MMAKS Advocates’ corporate and commercial expertise, please contact Apollo Makubuya and Fiona Magona.