MMAKS Advocates is recognised as a market leader in advising on banking and finance matters.
The firm has a proven track record in structuring innovative and commercially sound transactions for borrowers and lenders. The team acts as local and lead counsel to domestic, regional and international banks, private equity funds , and development finance institutions.
MMAKS adopts a practical and commercially astute approach to negotiating, structuring, drafting and enforcing a variety of credit arrangements and syndicated loan facilities using Loan Market Association (LMA) documentation.
In addition to performing due diligence on borrowers and guarantors, the firm also has extensive experience in drafting and enforcing securities. MMAKS represents a variety of lenders and borrowers on commodity and trade financing transactions.
Representative transactions include:
- Acting as counsel to the Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa Limited in their financing of Aya Investments’ completion and refurbishment of the Kampala Hilton.
- Advising Kampala Hospital Ltd, on an investment of US$ 32 million into the hospital.by IFHA Mauritius and AAR Healthcare Holdings Ltd.
- Acting for Proparco in relation to the granting of a loan facility of US$ 75 million to ETC Group.
- Advising Diamond Trust Bank (DTB), Uganda on a US$ 15 million financing by DEG to increase the supplementary capital of DTB.
- Advising DTB, Uganda on a financing of US$ 5 million from IFC to DTB, Uganda.
- Advising on a lending of US$ 15 million to Green Resources AS by FMO for purposes of a plantation development.
- Acting as local counsel for Standard Chartered Bank Singapore in preparing security documentation and advising on the grant of credit facilities in the total sum of USD200 million.
- Advising a syndicate of lenders including the IFC and Stanbic Bank Uganda on a USD64 million facility using Loan Market Association (LMA) documentation.
- Acting for First Rand Bank on the creation of a pledge and assignment of guarantee for a facility of USD20 million to an oil company.
- Advising in connection to a credit facility of USD21.5 million by PROPARCO, private equity and venture capital arm of Agence Francaise de Developpement, to a local sugar manufacturing company.
- Acting as the local counsel for Standard Chartered Bank Dubai, UAE, in connection with a bond and guarantee facility to a Mauritian construction company.
- Advising on a debt and equity private equity transaction involving a leading independent power producer.
- Advising the Central Bank on bank regulatory issues.
For more information on MMAKS Advocates’ banking and finance expertise, please contact Gloria Matovu Kawooya.