Shemane Amin | Partner
Shemane Amin is a Partner of A&K Tanzania (formerly ATZ Law Chambers).
She is a dual-qualified lawyer (Massachusetts and Tanzania) and has filled various legal and non-legal management roles with domestic and multinational companies. That experience brings a practical and commercially-sensitive approach to her legal practice. Shemane assists investors with comprehensive legal due diligence exercises and she advises international and local clients on commercial, corporate M&A, real estate, competition, employment, private equity and banking and finance matters across various sectors. She is also responsible for managing the firm’s client experience and overseeing operations to ensure ALN standards and requirements are met.
Shemane started her legal career in the United States, where she worked for Brown Rudnick LLP. After moving to Tanzania, she worked with ATZ Law Chambers briefly and then proceeded to expand her commercial and operational experience by taking an in-house position as a Corporate Advisor to Mohammed Enterprises Tanzania Limited (MeTL). In that role, she managed complex corporate transactions across the MeTL group, including assessing acquisition targets and carrying out due diligence exercises, while navigating the challenges of the local business environment.
Prior to re-joining A&K Tanzania, Shemane held a dual management role at Philip Morris Tanzania, where she was Manager of Corporate Affairs and Manager of Commercial, Strategy & Planning.
Shemane is a graduate of Boston University School of Law where she graduated as a Juris Doctor and holds a Bachelor of Arts from Duke University where she received a full scholarship under the Robertson Scholars Program.
2008-2011: Juris Doctorate, Boston University School of Law, USA
2004-2008: BA, Duke University (USA)
Admitted, Massachusetts Bar
Admitted, Tanganyika Law Society
JUN 2019 – DATE: Partner, A&K Tanzania
FEB 2019 – MAY 2019: Director, ATZ Law Chambers
JUL 2017 – DEC 2018: Manager of Corporate Affairs & Commercial, Philip Morris, Tanzania
MAR 2015 – JUL 2017: Corporate Advisor, Mohammed Enterprises, Tanzania
APR 2014 – FEB 2015: Senior Associate, ATZ Law Chambers
OCT 2011 – DEC 2013: Associate, Brown Rudnick LLP, USA
JUNE 2009 – AUG 2009: Legal Intern, Mkono & Co. Advocates, Tanzania
JUN 2008 – AUG 2008: Legal Intern, Boston District Court Public Defender’s Office, USA
Areas of expertise
- Banking and Finance
- Private Equity
- Corporate Commercial
- Corporate Restructuring
- Real Estate
- Capital Markets
- Advising Orica Norway AS, the world’s largest provider of commercial explosives and innovative blasting systems to the mining, quarrying, oil and gas and construction markets, in connection with the Tanzanian mining laws and the structuring of their operations in Tanzania.
- Advising CRJE in connection with the development of a multi-story commercial real estate project in conjunction with the Mwalimu Nyerere Foundation, including drafting the Build Operate and Transfer Agreement and related agreements.
- Advising TUI Group in connection with a hotel construction contract under the FIDIC form.
- Advising a commercial property developer in connection with the drafting of a long term lease with its clients.
- Advising various clients across sectors in connection with their local and multi-jurisdictional due diligence exercises for M&A transactions, which cover Tanzanian matters relating to corporate entities, regulatory compliance, employment, land, environment, and competition.
- Advising Aviagen, one of the world’s largest broiler breeders, in connection with various real estate and corporate law issues relating to their operations in Africa.
- Advising one of the world’s largest uranium producers in connection with a mining project in Tanzania.
- Advising various suppliers to mines in Tanzania, including Mantrac Tanzania, Orica Tanzania and Penna Pura Oil Tanzania, in connection with the local content laws and related compliance, as well as the structuring options available to meet those requirements.
- Advising an insurance broker in connection with the local content shareholding requirements in the insurance sector, including advising on the structuring options available to meet those requirements and the implementation steps.
- Advising various clients, including AirBnB and Facebook, in connection with the telecommunications and digital platform and information regulations in Tanzania.
- Advising foreign investors across sectors (including agriculture, livestock, financial services, tourism) in connection with the registration with and obtaining incentives from the Tanzania Investment Centre (TIC).
- Advising clients in connection with a range of employment and labour law matters, including retrenchment, termination and disciplinary procedures, consequences of noncompliance, social security, and other entitlements.
- Advising one of East Africa’s largest sports and online betting companies in connection with an investment in the region.
- Advising foreign investors seeking to occupy and use land in Tanzania for investment purposes.
- Advising various clients on Tanzania’s merger notification requirements, including as part of complex restructuring and M&A transactions.
- Advising clients in connection with the establishment of an ESOP in Tanzania by a foreign listed company.
- Robertson Scholar (awarded only to 15 out of 17,000 applicants based on academic excellence, leadership skills and commitment to community service).
- Top 100 Lawyers of Color Under 40 in the Northeast Region of the U.S.
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania