Samiath Mohamed | Associate
Samiath is an Associate at A&K Tanzania (formerly ATZ Law Chambers) and an Advocate of the High Court of Tanzania. Samiath joined as an intern in 2014. Her practice focuses on corporate, banking and finance, data protection and anti-money laundering matters. Samiath is familiar with the on the ground processes required for company formation and related corporate governance and compliance issues. She has developed a core understanding of corporate governance issues and has built her experience in assisting and handling complex banking and finance transactions.
2014: Postgraduate Diploma, Law School Tanzania
2012: LL.B, University of Dar Es Salaam
- The Tanganyika Law Society
- The East African Law Society
JUN 2019 – DATE: Associate, A&K Tanzania
MAR 2016 – MAY 2019: Associate, ATZ Law Chambers
JAN 2015 – FEB 2016: Junior Associate, ATZ Law Chambers
SEPT 2014 – NOV 2014: Intern, ATZ Law Chambers
JAN 2013 – DEC 2013: Risk Management Officer, Equity Insurance Brokers Limited
Areas of expertise
- Finance and Banking
- Compliance including AML and ABC
- Advising Apple and YouTube services in connection with the legal and regulatory requirements and restrictions in Tanzania as offshore and onshore entities.
- Advising clearing and forwarding, telecommunications, banking and insurance companies, including conducting legal due diligence on their M&A transactions.
- Advising YouTube in connection with the Copyright and Neighbouring Act regarding people’s information they hold, including advising on privacy provisions under the laws of Tanzania, advising on restrictions on the content being provided and liability of YouTube in relation to the content aired by its users under the laws of Tanzania.
- Acting for DEG (Deutsche Investitions-Und Entwicklungsgesellschaft MBH), CDC Group and and PROPARCO (Société De Promotion Et De Participation Pour La Coopération Economique) in connection with the Bank of Tanzania and the Fair Competition Commission’s approvals and notifications with respect to transfer of indirect shares in a bank, including transfer of shares in I&M Holdings Kenya, who were the majority shareholders in I&M Bank Tanzania.
- Advising and drafting registration of local and foreign loans, security document reviews, including facility letters, guarantees, resolutions, powers of attorneys, spousal consents, mortgages in respect of derivative titles and right of occupancy, debentures, charge over shares, security sharing agreements services for banking institutions such as IFC, Citibank Tanzania and Stanbic Bank Tanzania .
- Advising in connection with employment and labour law matters for major Tanzanian employers such as ACCA, M-Kopa Solar Tanzania, Coulson Harney, Citibank Tanzania and Siemens Company, including reviewing employees terms and conditions of engagement, probationary period, disciplinary procedure and the code of good practice, termination of employment with regard to substantive fairness and procedure, consequences of noncompliance, social security contributions and collective bargaining, hours of work and rules, maternity, paternity, compassionate, sickness and annual leaves and retrenchment.
- Acting for ASPEN Pharmacare Holdings Tanzania in connection with annual legislative review of all the applicable laws since 2014 to 2017, including Cyber Crimes Act, the Electronic Transactions Act, the National Payment System Act, the Budget Act, and the Non-Citizens Act; and reviewing its pharmaceutical business operations conducted by Shelys’s Pharmaceuticals Tanzania.
- Acting for Citibank Tanzania in connection with a comprehensive review of the legal framework in the banking and related sectors that took place between 2014 and 2015 in Tanzania, including providing an analysis of the legal gaps resulting from these recent enactments and amendments to the 2008 and 2005 banking regulations.
- Acting for Thomas Reuters in connection with a comprehensive review on data protection legislations in Tanzania.
- Acting for Toyota Tanzania, Citibank Tanzania, Star Infrastructure Development Tanzania, W-Stores Company, Karimjee Jivanjee, M-Kopa Solar Tanzania, Mayfair Insurance, in connection with provision of advice on corporate compliance, company formation, structures and registration.
- Acting for World Bank Group in connection with its survey report publications “Doing Business 2014” and “Doing Business 2015”, including researching and responding to questionnaires on public private partnership, finance and banking activities in Tanzania.
- Advising Citibank Tanzania on company secretarial, commercial and employment matters.
- Advising Business Registration and Licensing Agency in connection with rectifyication of files at the Companies Registry.
- Acting for Citibank Tanzania in connection with an extensive review of the application of the National Payment System legislations.