Jackline J. Silaa | Associate
Jackline is an Associate at A&K Tanzania (formerly ATZ Law Chambers) and an Advocate of the High Court of Tanzania. She focuses on commercial law, including advising on corporate matters, commercial contracts, immigration and merger control clearances.
Jackline enjoys a pan-East African focus, having studied and lived in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania. Jackline has a Bachelor of Laws degree from the Kampala International University, Uganda, and graduated in the top 5% in her cohort graduating from Tanzanian law school (Post Graduate Diploma, Law School of Tanzania).
Around her internally focused work assignments, Jackline devotes her spare time to charity as a member of the 40 Days Over 40 Smiles Foundation that helps vulnerable children and communities to access quality, all-round education and providing entrepreneurial training aimed at self-sustainability in Uganda.
2018: Masters of Arts in International Relations and Diplomatic Studies, Cavendish University Uganda, 2018
2015: Post Graduate Diploma, the Law School of Tanzania, Dar es Salaam
2013: Bachelor of Laws, LL.B (Hons), Kampala International University, Uganda
- Tanganyika Law Society
- East African Law Society
JUN 2019 – DATE: Associate, A&K Tanzania
MAY 2018 – MAY 2019: Secondment, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
2015 – DATE: Associate, ATZ Law Chambers (ALN), Dar es Salaam
2015 – 2016: Intern, ATZ Law Chambers (ALN), Dar es Salaam
2015: Intern, Clyde & Co Tanzania, Dar es Salaam
2013 – 2014: Tutor, Refuge and Hope International, Kampala
2011 – 2013: Legal Officer, Kipoko & Co Advocates, Moshi, Kilimanjaro
Areas of expertise
- Acting for AfricInvest Capital Partners in connection to its proposed investments into a Kenyan public listed company operating within the financial sector in Kenya. Advising on the structure of the SPV consortium agreement, with 3 Development Finance Institutions, due diligence on the Kenyan company, including the regulatory aspects, drafting and negotiation of the transactional documents and completion of the various conditions precedent of the transaction.
- Acting for Econet Wireless Africa, a diversified telecommunications group with operations and investments in Africa, Europe, South America and the East Asia Pacific Rim, in connection with their proposed acquisition of the entire shareholding in a GSM mobile network operation.
- Advising a major telecoms operator on a vendor style due diligence across its operations in Africa, including a legal due diligence, regulatory and competition report.
- Acting for Kuramo Capital Management in connection with its proposed investment for 24.99% of the shares in Trans-century.
- Acting for MOTA – ENGIL Group, a Portuguese group in the civil construction, public works, ports operations and logistics sector with operations in connection with their setting up and licencing upon winning the tender for Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) Line from Dar Es Salaam to Morogoro project worth USD 1.2 billion.
- Acting for Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton in connection with the liquidation of FBME Bank, including advising on Tanzanian liquidation proceedings, the powers of the Deposit Insurance Board, protection of depositors including corporate depositors and foreign depositors or depositors of a foreign branch particularly focusing on liquidation of FBME Bank.
- Acting for Catalyst Principal Partners in connection with its debt and equity investment in the Kensta Group.
- Acting for Nedbank in connection with a revolving credit facility of USD 35 million to Geita Gold Mining.
- Acting for Accenture Consulting Services in connection with their liquidation.
- Acting for Village Supermarket in connection with a review of its operation in Tanzania and advising on Fair Competition Commission merger notifications.
- Acting for Rentokil Initial PLC in connection with investment and set up of its subsidiary in Tanzania.
Co-author in the Special Report on Investment in Africa 2017, Country chapter for Tanzania.