A&K Tanzania provides tax advisory services in all corporate, commercial and financial transactions, including advising on efficient tax practices, stamp duty and capital gains tax, tax structuring, negotiating tax warranties and indemnities, and tax planning.
The A&K Tanzania team has acted on various Tax*matters, including:
- Advising Woodside Energy, an Australian oil and gas company with a global presence, in connection with stamp duty and capital gains tax in relation to its acquisition of 70 percent of the participating interest in the Lake Tanganyika South onshore oil and gas block.
- Advising Schneider Electric, a publicly listed French multinational company, in connection with tax structuring in relation to its acquisition of three Kenyan companies with subsidiaries in Uganda and Tanzania.
- Advising China Road and Bridge Corporation, an international enterprise engaged in the construction of large infrastructure worldwide, in connection with the tax and legal structure for the construction of a mixed used development.
- Advising an investor focusing in the energy sector in connection with the most beneficial tax position under Tanzanian law in relation to an investment into and repatriation of profits from a Tanzanian entity to a holding company based in the British Virgin Island, the Netherlands, Mauritius and Kenya.
- Advising WS Atkins International, a leading global design, engineering and project management consultancy, in connection with their tax structure from a Tanzanian law perspective in relation to its acquisition of 100 percent of Howard Humphreys East Africa, an engineering consulting firm based in Kenya, and its wholly-owned subsidiary in Tanzania.
- Acting for a charitable organisation based in the UK that provides microfinance services in connection with their setting up of a branch, including providing advice on tax registration.
- Advising China Railway Jianchang Engineering Company Tanzania (CRJE), a member of the China Railway Group Company, in connection with tax issues in relation to their preparation of a Build-Operate-Transfer agreement with the Registered Trustees of the Mwalimu Nyerere Foundation.
- Advising Milicom International Cellular in connection with stamp duty and capital gains tax matters in relation to its acquisition of a 85 percent stake in Zanzibar Telecom (Zantel) from Etisalat Group.
- Advising a consortium which seeks to construct an undersea submarine fibre-optic cable (the DARE Cable) commencing in Djibouti and terminating in Tanzania, in connection with the optimal tax structure for the project.
- Advising HNZ Group, an international provider of helicopter transportation and related support services, in connection with various tax issues, including advising on the most suitable holding company jurisdiction, Value Added Tax, excise duty and corporation taxes from both a Tanzanian and Kenyan perspective, in relation with its acquisition of an aviation group and aircraft assets situated in Kenya and Tanzania.
- Advising Alpha Group, a marine and logistics company, in connection with their reorganisation in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania, including tax implications for its shareholders.
- Acting for a power generation company in connection with a proposed Tanzania project, including advising on the local tax regime.
For more information on A&K Tanzania’s Tax practice, please contact Aggrey Ernest and Daniel Ngumy.
*Matters predate A&K Tanzania