A&K Tanzania has an established corporate M&A practice. Our dedicated team has handled many of East Africa’s landmark transactions, including local, cross-border and multi-jurisdictional transactions. A&K Tanzania handles the full legal scope of corporate work, including advising during acquisitions and disposals, structuring and reorganisation, joint ventures and strategic alliances, providing tax advice, conducting legal due diligences, dealing with the appropriate regulatory approvals, and advising on the competition aspects of any transaction at national, regional and COMESA levels. We provide solutions to clients across all industries: from energy, telecoms and infrastructure to financial, manufacturing, agricultural and retail industries. We have worked with the leading private equity firms, investment banks, financial advisors and international law firms.
The A&K Tanzania team has acted on various Corporate M&A *matters, including:
- Acting for Vivo Energy Holding, a company incorporated in the Netherlands with operations in marketing and distributing petroleum products under the ‘Shell’ brand in 16 African countries, in connection with the acquisition of 100 percent of the shares of Engen Holdings, a company that markets and distributes petroleum products in various countries, including Mauritius, Kenya, Rwanda, DRC, Zimbabwe, Zambia and Malawi.
- Acting for Old Mutual Group, a pan-African investment, savings, insurance, and banking group, in connection with its long-planned multi-phase international restructuring and managed separation, to split-off its four main business lines into separate entities and publicly list its largest divisions.
- Acting for Boundary Holdco, a wholly owned subsidiary of Helios Investment Partners, an Africa-focused private equity firm, in connection with their acquisition of Off Grid Electric, a Cayman Islands company that installs and maintains solar power systems.
- Acting for Ringier Africa, one of Africa’s leading classifieds and media groups, in connection with its acquisition of the Tanzania subsidiaries of One Africa Media, including EverythingDar.com and BrighterMonday.
- Acting for a consortium of investors comprising AfricInvest Capital Partners, DEG, FMO and Proparco, as Tanzanian counsel, in connection with their equity investment to acquire newly issued shares equating to 14.3 percent of the issued share capital in Britam Holdings, a Kenyan listed insurance and asset management group with operations in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, Malawi, South Sudan and Mozambique.
- Acting for Deere & Company, an American corporation that manufactures agricultural, construction, and forestry machinery, in connection with the acquisition of Wirtgen Group Holding, a global manufacturer of road construction equipment.
- Acting for PT Pertamina Internasional Eksplorasi dan Produksi, a wholly owned subsidiary of PT Pertamina (Pertamina), the Indonesian State-owned oil and gas upstream and downstream giant with major LNG interests, in connection with the acquisition of a 24.53 percent shareholding in Etablissements Maurel & Prom, a French company listed on Euronext Paris and the subsequent voluntary tender offer by Pertamina for all Maurel & Promâs shares.
- Acting for Airtel Tanzania in connection with the planned listing of its shares on the Dar es Salaam Stock Exchange and the offer for sale to the general public of up to 51,250,000 ordinary shares equalling 25 percent of the Airtel issued capital in line with new Tanzanian local participation.
- Acting for Catalyst Principal Partners, a leading Africa-based private investment firm, in connection with its debt and equity investment in the Kensta Group, a printing and digital telecommunications business operating in Eastern and Southern Africa.
- Acting for Kuramo Capital Management, an independent investment management firm, in connection with its proposed investment for 24.99 percent of the shares in Trans-century, a company listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange.
For more information on A&K’s Corporate M&A and Private Equity expertise, please contact Geofrey Dimoso, Shemane Amin and Dominic Rebelo.
*Matters predate A&K Tanzania