G. Elias & Co. have a strong and respected construction and real estate practice that is known for its breath, sophistication and depth. We work in all of the principal sub- sectors of the real estate sector: retail; hospitality; office buildings; logistics assets; residential property; and interior designs. We advise and represent a wide range of actors, mainly developers, private equity fund managers, landowners, equity investors and lenders, but also contractors, consultants, buyers and commercial tenants. Clients who ordinarily are not real estate sector actors have also engaged us on critical real estate matters. Notable among these are commercial clients acquiring and constructing offices, showrooms, outlets and factories nationwide. Our real estate group lawyers also work regularly with parties to mergers acquisitions and spin-off transactions in other sectors on occasions where real estate assets happen to be a significant portion of the assets in issue.
Some of our key construction and real estate experiences are as follows:
- Advising on the development of a 22-storey twin-tower building with 41 luxury apartments on Bourdillon Road in Ikoyi, Lagos (currently the tallest building under construction in Nigeria).
- Advised a group of foreign institutional and other developers on the development of several mall projects in Lagos including the Ikeja Mall (on Alausa Ikeja), Circle Mall (on Lekki Expressway, Osapa) and Royal Gardens Mall (near Ajah, Lekki Expressway) on virtually all aspects of the project – the financing, construction, obtention of permits and legal contracting.
- Advising Rendeavour, Africa’s largest urban developer, on acquiring, financing, developing and selling a mixed use new town development on 700 hectares of land in the Federal Capital territory, Abuja.
- Advising an export import development finance institution on arranging and leading the financing of a portfolio of luxury apartments each on Eko Atlantic City, Lagos ( a land mass reclaimed from the ocean for the development of the most ambitious real estate project in Africa today).
- Advised the acquirer on the purchase of the Abuja Hilton Hotel by Transcorp Plc (the largest hotel “M&A” deal in Nigeria history). We again advised Transcorp Plc on it bond issuance programme to raise debt funding for the construction and development of Transcorp Ikoyi Hotels, a subsidiary of Transcorp Hotel, Abuja.
- Advising the developers, Oando Plc and RMB Westport, on the development, financing and retailing of a twin-multi office building at the heart of the business district, Ozumba Mbadiwe Street, Victoria Island, Lagos.
For more information on G. Elias’ real estate and construction expertise, please contact Gbolahan Elias and Lynda Chinweokwu.