G. Elias & Co’s practices in these sectors have encompassed providing advise on joint venture, franchising and marketing agreements for the production and distribution of branded food products, the licensing of brands and other intellectual property rights, on tolling agreements for processing raw food products, technical assistance and other transfer-of-technology agreements, and agreements for the sale and distribution of goods. We have also advised on mergers, acquisitions, reconstruction, spin-offs and other re-organisation of companies in food, beverages and healthcare companies, and of foreign direct investment in such companies. We also advised on private placements, offers for subscription, rights offerings, plain bond offerings, bond programmes and offerings of asset- backed securities by issuers in the subsectors.
Some of our key transactional experiences are as follows:
- Advising Novum Holdings Ltd, a large scale commercial agriculture and agri-processing company on its joint-venture investment with a private equity fund and the sale and acquisition of some agricultural assets.
- Advising Fedkot Company Ltd. on a project to establish fully-mechanized rice farms on up to 10,000 hectares of land in Ondo State, Nigeria with South-Asian joint-venture partners.
- Advised Negris Holding Ltd. on the acquisition and rehabilitation of plantation and factory for newsprint wood pulp on over 15,000 hectares in South-Eastern Nigeria.
- Advised Sino-African Petrochemicals on its winning bid to buy the National Fertilizer Company of Nigeria on privatization.
- Advised African Export Import Bank on concluding loan documentation for over US$10 million to FTN Cocoa Processors Ltd. for the purchase of cocoa, cocoa beans and allied products under long-term contracts.
- Advised Multipro Consumer Products Ltd. (a leading FMCG sales and distribution company) on the joint venture arrangement with Arla Food Holdings A/S (a leading dairy food products company in Denmark).
- Advised Multipro Consumer Products Ltd. on the sale of 50% equity stake in its business to Kellogg, the USA multinational.
- Advised Food Concepts Plc (the owners of leading food outlet “Chicken Republic”) on an equity investment by International Finance Corporation for the expansion of its business.
- Advised on sundry franchise agreements and trademark concession work with “Chicken Licken” and “St Elmo’s Pizza” as franchisors.
- Advised Kagiso Holdings on its strategic investment in Me Cure Industries Ltd., a leading human pharmaceutical therapeutics company.
- Advised and providing Advise to Metro Health Ltd. on its establishment and operations as a licenced Health Management Organization.
- Advised Afriglobal Medicare, on the establishment of a world class diagnostic imaging services center in Lagos.
- Advising on sundry contracts with (a) the Federal Government for the construction of the Utako General Hospital, FCT, Abuja and (b) the Rivers State Government for the construction of the Port Harcourt General Hospital, Rivers State.
For more information on G. Elias’ expertise, please contact Gbolahan Elias and Fred Onuobia.