G. Elias & Co. have five principal dimensions to our employment law practice: pensions; executive employment agreements; immigration; tax; and disputes. We have advised extensively on independent consultancy and employment contracts for executive employees and full-time consultants (including director employees and officer employees who are not directors). We advise on pensions regulation, on setting up and amending pension schemes, on establishing and operating employee share incentive schemes, and on life and other insurance agreements for employees, officers and directors. The issues that we have counselled on also include unionization and collective bargaining arrangements for “workers” and other employees especially in the context of mergers, acquisitions and corporate re- organizations.
Some of our key transactional experiences are as follows:
- Advised Multipro Nigeria (one of the largest FMCG distributor chains in Nigeria) on transfer of employees from Multipro Nigeria to a joint venture company owned by Multipro Nigeria and Kelloggs (the world’s leading cereal maker) (“the JV Company”).
- Advised Auro Nigeria Private Limited on the documentation of the contract of employment for staff and facilitated the obtention of expatriate quota for its foreign employees.
- Advised the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (“NNPC”) on the amendment of a trust deed — which established a defined benefits pension trust scheme for NNPC’s employees — in compliance with Pension Reform Act, 2004 (now Pension Reform Act, 2014).
- Advised on the preparation of detailed Staff Handbook for corporate entities like Oceanic Bank Plc (now Ecobank Nigeria Limited).
- Advising and defending Ecobank Nigeria Limited in a class action instituted by over 200 former employees of the legacy Oceanic Bank Plc with a claim in excess of N1 billion.
- Acted for Bureau of Public Enterprises or BPE in a suit instituted by over 70 former disengaged employees of Nigerian Telecommunications Plc or NITEL.
- Acted for Asset Management Company of Nigeria in a suit instituted by employees of the bridge banks (Mainstreet Bank and Enterprise Bank) seeking to stop the sale of the said bridge banks by AMCON to prospective investors.
- Acted for Association of Stockbrokers Houses of Nigeria (“ASHON”) in a suit instituted by its former CEO with a claim for damages of over N500 million for failure of ASHON to pay the CEO’s entitlements before the CEO’s resignation from ASHON’s employment
- Advising and defending Ecobank Nigeria Limited in a suit commenced by a former executive employee of legacy Oceanic Bank Plc with a claim of over N200 million as damages for wrongful dismissal.
- Advised Multipro Nigeria on enrollment of employees of the JV Company in pension schemes with pension fund administrators, compliance with relevant labour-related legislations and also facilitated, the obtention of expatriate quota for foreign employees of the JV Company.
For more information on G. Elias’ employment expertise, please contact Gbolahan Elias and Fidelis Adewole.