Francisco Avillez | Managing Partner
Francisco Avillez is the Managing Partner and one of the founding partners of Avillez Bacar Centeio & Cambule (ABCC) (formerly SCAN Advogados), prior to which he was one of the founding partners of MGA.
His practice areas include banking law, corporate law, private equity, energy & natural resources law and foreign investment. Francisco has been involved in the most prominent transactions within the corporate practice.
His previous experience includes working as a trainee at Pereira & Leal (now PLMJ law firm) as well as an internship at Banco Mello, where he attended bank training courses and provided legal support to the business management. He was also responsible for the litigation departments at several companies in Portugal, having also held the office of legal and administrative counsel.
Francisco has been providing legal advice mainly to private companies, particularly advising financial institutions and large investment projects.
1990: Law Degree, Faculty of Law of the Portuguese Catholic University, Lisbon
- Mozambique Bar Association
- Portuguese Bar Association
2009 – Date: Managing Partner of ABCC (formerly SCAN Advogados)
1996 – 2009: Managing Partner of MGA – Advogados & Consultores, Limitada
1994 – 1996: Portuguese Association of Banks
Areas of expertise
- Banking and Finance
- Commercial Contracts
- Investment and Corporate
- Acting for the Private Sector Participation project in the water services of five cities of the Republic of Mozambique (Projecto Águas Cinco Cidades).
- Acting for the acquisition of 100% of the Banco Popular de Desenvolvimento ao Estado shares to the State of Mozambique.
- Acting for a Mozambique company, the representative office of Banco Mello de Investimentos.
- Advising MINCO CDC investment fund, in Mozambique and the representation office of MCP, the managing entity of MINCO fund.
- Acting for Banco Internacional de Moçambique Investimento (BIMI) in connection with their incorporation.
- Acting for ICB-Banco Internacional de Comércio in connection with their incorporation.
- Acting for Fábrica de Cervejas Reunidas (Laurentina), in connection with acquisition of the managers, technicians and workers shares (GTTs).
- Acting for the Banco de Fomento Exterior in connection with transformation into a branch of Mozambican bank -Banco de Fomento, SARL.
- Acting for CFM South concession in connection with legal consultancy to the project Consortium 2000.
- General secretary for BCM Holding for 1997 And 1998, organizing all the General Assembly Meetings and drafting all the minutes.
- Acting as legal adviser to the consortium that won the tender to the admission of 30 percent of CDM – Cervejas de Moçambique shares to the Maputo stock market being the first admission of shares to the Maputo stock market.
- Advising and drafting of all the contracts and minutes for MINCO`s investment and loan to CETA.
- Advising Portugal Telecom in connection with the acquisitions and sales in Mozambique and representation on several general assembly meetings.
- Acting as legal adviser in the merger of Banco de Fomento with the BCI, including drafting the minute and advising the general assembly meeting.
- Acting as legal advisor of the winning consortium of the tender in connection with acquisition of 100% of Companhia do Buzi (Sugar plantation and factory).
- Acting as legal adviser in the acquisition of Unilever International of the remaining 25 percent of Unilever Mozambique.
- Acting for PETROGAL, a Portuguese oil company in several projects.
- Acting as legal advisor for the international concession of Ancuabe graphite mines.
- Acting for Timcal from 2008-2011.
- Acting as legal advisor for Hidroelectrica de Cahora Bassa (HCB) between January 2008 and April 2009.
- Acting as legal advisor of Nokia since 2003, and its legal representative in Mozambique from May 2009 to June 2011.
- Acting as legal representative for PETROBRAS in Mozambique from 2006 to 2009.
- Acting as legal advisor for several agro industrial projects in Mozambique, including concession of land.
- Acting as legal advisor for Chevron Mozambican Branch Assets since 1997.
- Acting as legal advisor for Camargo Correa for Beira’s Coal Terminal bid (joint venture with Odebrecht) in 2009.
- Acting as legal advisor for ArcelorMittal bidding for a Coal Mining acquisition on 2011/2012.
- Acting for Diageo Group in connection with an acquisition of a Company in Mozambique in 2012/2013.
- Acting for Lloyds Bank in 2013.
- Advising China Development Bank in 2013.
- Acting for Entreposto in connection with acquisition of a stake in an automobile company, including conducting due diligence in 2013.
- Acting for Tranquilidade Moçambique, an insurance company in connection with their aquisition in 2014.
- Acting for Portucel in connection with their investment in IFC worth USD 2.2 billion in November 2014 to March 2015.
- Advising lenders of Vale to invest into Nacala Corridor Project, starting on December 2014. The project is ongoing.
- Acting for IFC and JBIC in connection Nacala Project, a USD 3 billion investment, the biggest infrastructure concession ever in Mozambique assisting.
- Acting for Credit Suisse, Coca-Cola Loan assisting Standard Bank, City Lodge transaction, ABSA Bank, AgDevCo, CenturyLink, Tokyo Marine, in connection with Project Albacore.
- Acting for ARISE B.V. in connection wtih acquisition and merge of two banks in Mozambique in 2018.
- Acting for Project Thunderbolt in connection with the construction and financing of power fired plant project, including conducting due diligence.
- Acting for Apollo in connection with the acquisition of a stake in insurance company registered in Portugal with insurance subsidiaries in Mozambique (Tranquilidade), including conducting due diligence.
- Acting for Project Farady in connection with Efacec project in the construction of infrastructure in the energy sector.
- Acting as legal advisor in the acquisition of 67 percent stake by Vale in Sociedade de Desenvolvimento do Corredor de Nacala S.A.R.L (SDN), held by NCI, Edlow Resources (ERL) e Rail Road Development Corporation (RDC).
- Acting as country legal representative for Dietsmann since 2016.
- Assisting Nordfund on liquidation of th Mozambican entity in 2019.
- Representing of several big international clients in General Assembly meetings in Mozambique and overseas.
- Acting for many global companies active in Mozambique., including Unilever, Standard Chartered Bank, Diageo, GardaWorld, and many international law firms when they need legal assistance in the jurisdiction. These include Linklaters, White & Case, Hunton & Williams, Allen & Overy, Clifford Chance, Malesons, Hogan Lovells, Stephenson Harwood, Anjarwalla & Khanna among others.