Valerie Bisasur | Partner | BLC Robert
Valerie Bisasur is a Partner at BLC Robert within the Banking and Finance department. Valerie routinely acts for local and international banks, DFIs, project sponsors and financial institutions in structuring and financing various projects locally and internationally. She has developped specific expetise in funds’ financing and secured bonds. She also regularly advises on banking regulatory aspects of the setting up, operations, mergers or acquisitions of banks.
Valerie is responsible for the publication of BLC Robert’s periodical newsletter “Banking & Finance Insights” and she is the firm’s coordinator for pro-bono activities notably through Trust Law Connect (a member of the Thomson Reuters Foundation).
Membership in Professional Societies
2008: Sworn in as Attorney at Law (Solicitor) at the Supreme Court of Mauritius
2006-2007: Council of Legal Education, Attorney at Law Vocational Course, Mauritius
2005: Maitrise En Droit, Mention Droit Des Affaires, Universite Des Sciences Sociales Toulouse I, France
2019 – DATE: Partner, BLC Robert
2008 – 2018: Senior Associate, BLC Robert
2005 –2007: Legal Assistant and Article, Etude Guy Rivalland
Areas of Expertise
- Banking and Finance
- Corporate and Commercial
- Acting for Standard Chartered Bank through its DIFC branch in connection with a USD 50 million financing secured by a revolving pool of treasury bonds issued and deposited with the Central Bank of Mauritius.
- Acting for Standard Chartered Bank and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation Europe in connection with the USD 800 million fully subscribed syndicated loan to The Mauritius Commercial Bank, the leading Mauritian Bank.
- Acting for Africa Agriculture and Trade Investment Fund in connection with the establishment of a Mauritian law foundation, the AATIF Innovation Facility Foundation, as its investment vehicle in support of innovative agricultural projects or corporates and financial institutions active in agriculture across the African continent, including structuring and documenting AATIF Innovation Facility Foundation first equity investment in Agricultural Leasing Company Zambia (AgleaseCo), a leasing company for the agricultural sector in Zambia, focusing on small and medium scale farmers.
- Acting for Agence Francaise de Developpement in connection with the new credit line of EURO 75 million which aim at financing “green” investments and projects through local banks, namely the Mauritius Commercial Bank and the State Bank Mauritius.
- Acting for Agence Francaise de Developpement in connection with a facility to the Central Electricity Board to reinforce infrastructures on CEB’s transmission and distribution network in order to facilitate variable renewable energy integration.
- Acting for AEGIDE DOMITYS and 2Futures in connection with the EUR 58.5 million structuring and capital raise for the construction of Le Domaine de Grand-Baie. The innovative nature of the capital structure, which comprised equity, a structured bond issue of multiple tranches, maturities and security status and a syndicated loan facility, required expert advice and a bespoke drafting of the transaction documents.
- Acting for BPCE IOM in connection with the sale of its entire shareholding in Banque des Mascareignes to Banque Central Populaire.
- Advisor to a local bank forming part of an international group in connection with the regulatory aspects of its deregistration as a bank in Mauritius.
- Advising a Canadian financial institution in connection with the acquisition of participation in a local bank.
- Advising a client in connection with secured bonds, including listed bonds and other debt instruments.
- Advising a major local banks on an ongoing basis in connection with compliance and regulatory aspects of their activities.
- Advising various clients in connection with funds’ financing transactions.
- Advising various institutional investors, development banks and internatinal organisations in connection with the financing of development projects in Africa.
- Advising a leading African energy company and independent power producer in connection with a USD 550 million financing structured by a syndication of international banks.
- Advising a consortium of international banks in connection with the financing of pipelines and fuel storage facilities in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Advising in connection with the setting up of the local branch for one of the major European insurance brokerage companies.
- Advising a major conglomerate in connection with the financing of the acquisition of a major stake in one of the leading chain of hospital operators in India.
- Advising a leading international private and investment bank in connection with the regulatory implications of its activities in Mauritius.
- Advising a multinational petroleum company in connection with the financing of the acquisition of companies in various African countries, including Mauritius to the value of USD 1 billion.
- Advising a major French development bank in connection with the structuring of three “green” financing lines with local banks.
- Advising international and local syndicated lenders in connection with the financing of the first wind farm project in Mauritius.
- Advising a client in connection with the regulatory aspects of implementing a Social Impact Bond in Mauritius.
- Advising major South African banks in connection with the financing of real estate projects and mining projects across Africa.
- Advising a major international North-American bank in connection with the acquisition of equity in a local bank.
- Advising a major financial services holding company in connection with its holdings in various banking structures in sub-Saharan African countries.
- Advising a leading local bank in connection with the financing of activities of a major African telecommunication group of companies.
- Advising a European development bank in connection with its various credit lines to Mauritian public authorities.
- Advising a major international bank in taking security interests over shares of an entity listed both on the Mauritius Stock Exchange and the Johannesburg Stock Exchange.
- Advising a client in connection with the debt funding to a major South African group for the acquisition of a floating dock and the construction of a docking quay in Durban harbour.