Manisha Meetarbhan | Associate | BLC Robert
Since joining BLC Robert, Manisha has been involved in commercial litigation, arbitration and transactional matters. She has assisted in a variety of litigation matters, including injunctions, statutory demands (and setting aside thereof), as well as a number of court applications under the Insolvency Act.
Manisha forms part of the dispute team at BLC Robert and as such she regularly acts as counsel both in litigation and arbitration matters. She practises civil law, with a focus on insurance law and contractual matters. Manisha also regularly acts as junior counsel in complex commercial litigations and international arbitrations.
Manisha has co-authored a book published by BLC Robert entitled “Why Mauritius? A National Court in Support of International Arbitration” in 2016. She has contributed to several online publications on international arbitration, as well as DOCDEX Rules published by the ICC and which relate to disputes arising under letters of credit. Manisha has attended a number of arbitration related events and has been a speaker at the ALN Academy Arbitration conference held in Nairobi in July 2018.
Membership in Professional Societies
- Mauritius Bar Association
- The Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
2005-2008: BA (Hons) in Law and Management, University of Mauritius
2008-2009: LL.M (Corporate Finance Law), University of Westminster, UK
2010-2012: LL.B (Hons), College of Law, UK
2012: Called to the Bar of England and Wales
2014: Called to the Bar of Mauritius
2017: Admitted as fellow to the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
2019 – DATE: Associate, BLC Robert
2014 – 2018: Senior Legal Executive, BLC Robert
MAR 2013 – JAN 2014: Pupil, BLC Robert
DEC 2012 – MARCH 2013: Pupil, Mardemootoo Solicitors
MAY2008 – AUG 2008: Legal trainee, International Financial Services
Areas of Expertise
- Dispute Resolution
- Commercial Injunctions
- Insurance Law
- Domestic and international arbitration
- Acting for Quantum Insurance in connection with general legal matters and Court proceedings.
- Acting for a client in connection with obtaining exequatur in favour of a judgment creditor in the sum of approx USD 100 million.
- Acting in connection with the refinancing of a USD 45 million murabaha loan made to a Mauritian entity.
- Acting in connection with a number of shareholder disputes before the Commercial Division of the Mauritian Courts.
- Acting in connection with a domestic arbitration for a large petrol conglomerate against a retail dealer.
- Acting for a five-star hotel client in connection with arbitration proceedings initiated by the hotel manager for more than USD 2 million of fees and the eventual amicable settlement.
- Acting for a group of companies in connection with an international arbitration claim against them of approximately EUR 12 million in relation to breach of contract.
- Acting for the Applicant before Mauritian Courts in connection with an application resisting the enforcement of a US Award for an amount of approximately USD 2 million.
- Acting for the Respondent in connection with an arbitration dispute among shareholders of a Mauritian company.
- Acting for the respondent in a domestic arbitration in connection with a construction dispute amounting to approximately MUR 2 million.
- Regularly appearing for an international bank in connection with debt recovery cases.