Jason Harel | Co-Founding Partner | BLC Robert
Jason Harel is a Co-founding Partner of BLC Robert, a leading law firm in Mauritius which is ranked as tier one firm by legal directories such as Legal 500, Chambers and Partners and IFLR1000.
He is a qualified Chartered Accountant and as a Barrister both in England and Wales and the Republic of Mauritius. He possesses substantial experience in real estate, banking, corporate finance, corporate transactions, mergers & acquisitions and taxation law.
Jason is consistently identified as a ‘leading practitioner’ in his field by the legal directories whilst he acts for public and private companies. He sits on a number of boards of directors, including ALN and IBL Ltd and is also the chairman of a family controlled hotel group.
Prior to joining BLC Robert and after completing his pupillage with Grays’ Tax Chambers, one of the leading tax chambers in the UK, Jason was a senior associate within the Trade Finance and Project Finance Group of Denton Wilde Sapte LLP in London from 2000 to 2005. Jason also worked for Kingston Smith in their corporate insolvency and restructuring divisions.
Membership in Professional Societies
- Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn
- Mauritius Bar Association
1998 – 1999: Inns of Court School of Law
1998: Qualified as Chartered Accountant
1991 – 1994: University of Wales, Aberystwyth – LLB(Hons)
2005 – DATE: Partner, BLC Robert
2000 – 2005: Denton Wilde Sapte, Solicitors
1999 – 2000: Pupil to Philip Baker QC, Grays Inn Tax Chamber
1994 – 1998: Kingston Smith, Chartered Accountants (Corporate recovery and forensic accountants)
Areas of Expertise
- Corporate & Commercial
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- General Banking and Project Finance
- Trade Finance
Awards & Accolades
- Jason is described by Chambers Global 2018 as having “good acumen as regards to business law.”
- Legal 500 EMEA 2016 recognises Jason having “Excellent Reputation”
- Jason is ranked as a leading lawyer by Chambers Global & IFLR 1000 since 2011.
- Advising a wholly-owned subsidiary of MCB Group, a company that owns the biggest bank in Mauritius, in connection with the acquisition of the entire shareholding of Club Med S.A.S, representing 84.43% of the shares in COVIFRA, a company listed on the Stock Exchange of Mauritius.
- Advising on a joint venture between a leading South African company specialising in laboratory and clinical trials and a Mauritian company specializing in the breeding and export of non-human primates adapted for pharmacology and toxicology research.
- Advising Vivo Energy in connection with its acquisition of Engen International Holdings (Mauritius) by Vivo Energy’s subsidiary, Vivo Energy Investments.
- Advising in connection with the sale of a leading integrated gas company in Nigeria.
- Advising Dentressangle Initiatives in connection with the acquisition of shares in Sun Resorts, a chain of hotels in Mauritius and listed on the Stock Exchange of Mauritius.
- Advisors to One&Only Le Saint Geran in connection with rental pool agreements following the construction of private residences for guests.
- Acting successfully for the Privy Council for Shoprite in connection with an appeal against a VAT assessment on management fees not invoiced nor paid, including appearing before the council.
- Acting for the main contractor of a MUR 1.8 billion residential project in connection with the proposed takeover of that project out of its liquidation.
- Advising Apavou Hotels in connection with a share purchase and subscription agreement and a joint venture agreement between Apavou Hotels and Sun Resorts.
- Acting for an international financial institution in connection with its activities in Mauritius by way of auction bids.
- Acting for AEGIDE DOMITYS and 2 Futures in connection with the EUR 58.5 million structuring and capital raise for the construction of 155 services senior apartments in Mauritius.
- Advising Deutsche Bank (Global Transaction Banking division) in connection with the sale of its corporate services business to Vistra Group.
- Acting for one of the largest corporations in Japan in connection with a MUR 25 million dispute with the special administrator of Iframac.
- Advising a number of fund managers and promoters in connection with setting up collective investment schemes in Mauritius.
- Advising the successful bidder in connection with privatisation of a sugar estate in Uganda.
- Advising a project company in connection with a single point mooring/pipeline project in Ghana.
- Advising an international corporation in connection with purchase of a Mauritian company which owned breweries in India.
- Advising a Mauritian corporation in connection with its bid for a Mauritius listed company;
- Advising a Mauritian corporation in connection with the disposal of its subsidiary in Malawi and acquisition of a minority stake in a Seychelles corporation by way of a share exchange agreement.
- Advising an English corporation in connection with its joint venture with a Mauritius corporation to develop an integrated resort scheme.
- Advising an aircraft manufacturer in connection with its offset agreement with the Government of Mauritius and the setting up of the offset fund.
- Advising a Mauritius listed corporation in connection with the implementation of the code of corporate governance of Mauritius.
- Advising an international bank in connection with the setting up of a real estate fund in Mauritius for investments in India.
- Advising New Cingular in connection with the sale of its holding in Idea telecom in India.
- Advising the sponsor of an integrated resort in Botswana in connection with the appointment of a hotel operator which included the review and negotiation of the terms of the hotel management agreement and technical services agreement.
- Advising an international bank in connection with the project financing of a hotel project in Seychelles.
- Advising the sponsor of hotel project in Nigeria in connection with the negotiation of the management agreement, shareholders agreement and lending documents.
- Advising the administrator of a British company in connection with the sale of its subsidiary which owned a mine in Zimbabwe.
- Advising an international bank in connection with the work-out of an East African (including Mauritius) oil company.
- Advising an international bank in connection with the sale of its Nigerian subsidiary to the minority shareholders.
- Advising a major oil company in connection with the receivership and subsequently the liquidation of the Zambian National Oil Company.
- Advising an international oil company in connection with the work-out of its secured debtor in Nigeria.
- Advising a Kenyan company in connection with a restructuring/workout of its existing debt by way of a property receivables backed project financing.
- Advising an English company and a Mauritian entity in connection with their establishment, certain related debt and equity investment arrangements and their finance businesses.