Andre Robert | Senior Attorney | Partner | BLC Robert
André Robert is a Senior Attorney and Partner at BLC Robert who co-heads, with Senior Counsel Iqbal Rajahbalee, the Dispute Resolution Group of the firm. André got back to Mauritius after his studies where he had two years of pupillage. André qualified as an Attorney in 1994.
He was a lecturer in Civil Law at the Council of Legal Education and formed part for several years of the panel for Attorneys’, Barristers’ and Notaries’ examinations. He is a former Vice Chairman of the Mauritius Law Society.
He has since been involved in legal advice to commercial firms, banks, insurance companies, sugar companies, petroleum companies, textile companies and hotels, including taking up litigation for those entities; providing legal advice to parastatal bodies, and litigation for those entities; frequent offshore litigation; chambers work in support of international arbitration, as well as intellectual property litigation. He is also often involved in local and international arbitrations.
He was appointed Senior Attorney in 2016.
André is the fifth generation of a family of lawyers and was in charge of Etude Robert, in close collaboration with a team of Attorneys and legal assistants. Etude Robert was founded by Mr Frédéric Robert, Attorney, in 1857. Mr Frédéric Robert has been followed by four other generations of lawyers, all of whom have been in the forefront of the legal profession in Mauritius. Etude Robert merged with BLC in 2016 to form BLC Robert.
André is a member of the Rotary Club of Curepipe, a board member of Junior Achievement Mauritius and Cheshire Home Mauritius.
Membership in Professional Societies
- Senior Attorney
- Diplôme d’Etudes Universitaires Générales (DEUG), Aix en Provence University
- Licence en Droit, Aix en Provence University
- Maîtrise en Droit (Specialisation Judicial Career), Ranked 1st, Aix en Provence University
Areas of Expertise
- Litigation and Arbitration
- Acting for Terragri, a major listed conglomerate in Mauritius, in connection with multi-million land disputes involving serious irregularities to misappropriate lands of the said company.
- Acting for a construction company in connection with an important road construction arbitration.
- Acting for Kross Border, a Trust and Corporate Service Provider, licensed under the Financial Services Act, in connection with a matter involving disputes with a shareholder in a global business company with a huge asset base.
- Acting for the State Trading Corporation in connection with a very big action in which the Mauritius Court has set aside an arbitral award.
- Acting for a major insurance company in a huge claim against the State on alleged liability to maintain order and security.
- Acting for a major insurance company, as insurer of a leading contractor, in connection with claims made against the State and another insurance company in connection with the flash floods which took place in Mauritius on 30 March 2013.
- Acting for the Constance Hotels Group in connection with judicial review cases in respect of large value real estate holdings.
- Acting for a major multinational bank in connection with disputes relating to Indian lending transactions in order to sell pledged shares.
- Acting for an important South African insurer in connection with a multi-million claim.
- Acting for a sugar company in connection with an arbitration in relation to water irrigation charges claimed to the said
- Acting for MasterCard in connection with a Competition Commission case which is before the Supreme Court of Mauritius.
- Acting for various funds in connection with several cross-border disputes.
- Acting for a hotel company in connection with a claim for breach of a hotel management agreement.