JASON HAREL | Partner
Jason Harel is a co-founding Partner of BLC Robert and boasts substantial experience in corporate M&A, workout transactions as well as taxation. He generally practices in the areas of corporate and commercial law, mergers and acquisitions, corporate insolvency, real estate, tax but also advises on litigation matters.
Consistently identified as a ‘leading practitioner’ in his field by legal directories, Jason acts for public and private companies, banks, hotels and real estate on a range of acquisitions and other corporate transactions.
Jason sits on a number of boards of directors including African Legal Network (ALN) and IBL Ltd. He is also the chairman of a family controlled hotel group.
Prior to joining BLC Robert and after completing his pupillage with Grays’ Tax Chambers, the leading tax chambers in the UK, Jason was a senior associate within the Trade Finance and Project Finance Group of Denton Wilde Sapte LLP in London from 2000 to 2005. Jason is also a Chartered Accountant and worked for Kingston Smith in their corporate insolvency and restructuring divisions. He is qualified as a Barrister both in England and Wales and the Republic of Mauritius.
The Chambers Global Guide describes Jason as someone who “blends accounting knowledge with an in-depth knowledge of private international law” and client feedback in the Chambers Global Guide describes him as “extremely responsive, applying a western work ethic and with world class experience.”
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn
- Mauritius Bar Association
1998 – 1999: Inns of Court School of Law
1998: Qualified as Chartered Accountant
1991 – 1994: University of Wales, Aberystwyth – LLB(Hons)
2005 – TO DATE: Partner, BLC Robert
2000 – 2005: Denton Wilde Sapte, Solicitors
1999 – 2000: Pupil to Philip Baker QC, Grays Inn Tax Chamber
1994 – 1998: Kingston Smith, Chartered Accountants (Corporate recovery and forensic accountants)
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Corporate & Commercial
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- General Banking and Project Finance
- Trade Finance
- Jason is described by Chambers Global 2018 as having “good acumen as regards to business law.”
- Legal 500 EMEA 2016 recognises Jason having “Excellent Reputation”
- Jason is ranked as a leading lawyer by Chambers Global & IFLR 1000 since 2011.
- Advised Dentressangle Initiatives on the acquisition of shares in Sun Resorts Limited, a chain of hotels in Mauritius and listed on the Stock Exchange of Mauritius.
- Advised a wholly-owned subsidiary of MCB Group Limited (who owns the biggest bank in Mauritius) on the acquisition of the entire shareholding of Club Med S.A.S, representing 84.43% of the shares in COVIFRA, a company listed on the Stock Exchange of Mauritius.
- Advisors to One&Only Le Saint Geran on rental pool agreements following the construction of private residences for guests.
- He recently successfully appeared before the Privy Council for Shoprite in respect of an appeal against a VAT assessment on management fees not invoiced nor paid.
- Advised Deutsche Bank (Global Transaction Banking division) in respect of the sale of its Corporate Services business to Vistra Group.
- Advised and acted for one of the largest corporations in Japan in relation to a MUR 25 Million dispute with the special administrator of Iframac.
- Acting for the main contractor of a MUR 1.8 billion residential project on the proposed takeover of that project out of its liquidation.
- Advising Apavou Hotels in connection with a share purchase and subscription agreement and a joint venture agreement between Apavou Hotels and Sun Resorts Limited.
- Acting for an international financial institution in respect of its activities in Mauritius by way of auction bids.
- Acted as legal advisor to AEGIDE DOMITYS and 2Futures on the EUR 58.5 million structuring and capital raise for the construction of 155 services senior apartments in Mauritius.
- Advised a number of fund managers and promoters in respect of setting up collective investment schemes in Mauritius.
- Advised the successful bidder in relation to privatisation of a sugar estate in Uganda;
- Advised a project company in relation to a single point mooring/pipeline project in Ghana.
- Advised an international corporation in relation to the purchase of a Mauritian company which owned breweries in India.
- Advised a Mauritian corporation in relation to its bid for a Mauritius listed company;
- Advised a Mauritian corporation in relation to the disposal of its subsidiary in Malawi and acquisition of a minority stake in a Seychelles corporation by way of a share exchange agreement.
- Advised an English corporation in relation to its joint venture with a Mauritius corporation to develop an integrated resort scheme.
- Advised an aircraft manufacturer in relation to its offset agreement with the Government of Mauritius and the setting up of the offset fund.
- Advised a Mauritius listed corporation on the implementation of the code of corporate governance of Mauritius.
- Advised an international bank in relation to the setting up of a real estate fund in Mauritius for investments in India.
- Advised New Cingular Inc. in relation to the sale of its holding in Idea telecom in India.
- Advised the sponsor of an integrated resort in Botswana in relation to the appointment of a hotel operator which included the review and negotiation of the terms of the hotel management agreement and technical services agreement.
- Advised an international bank in relation to the project financing of a hotel project in Seychelles.
- Advised the sponsor of hotel project in Nigeria in relation to the negotiation of the management agreement, shareholders agreement and lending documents.
- Advised the administrator of a British company on the sale of its subsidiary which owned a mine in Zimbabwe.
- Advised an international bank on the work-out of an East African (including Mauritius) oil company.
- Advised an international bank on the sale of its Nigerian subsidiary to the minority shareholders.
- Advised a major oil company in relation to the receivership and subsequently the liquidation of the Zambian National Oil Company.
- Advised an international oil company in relation to the work-out of its secured debtor in Nigeria.
- Advised a Kenyan company in relation to a restructuring/workout of its existing debt by way of a property receivables backed project financing.
- Advised an English company and a Mauritian entity in relation to their establishment, certain related debt and equity investment arrangements and their finance businesses.