Legal Alert | Uganda | Timeline on Registration with the Financial Intelligence Authority
The Financial Intelligence Authority (the ‘’Authority’’), has in accordance with its mandate under the Anti- Money Laundering Act 2013 (the ‘’Act’’), issued a notice requiring all accountable persons to comply with the registration requirement under the Act by 30th October 2018.
Whereas the Anti Money Laundering Regulations of 2015 (the ‘’Regulations’’) required accountable persons to register with the Authority within one year from their commencement (being November 2016), compliance by the general public has been slow, prompting the Authority to extend the deadline, before it can embark on enforcement.
These not only include advocates, notaries, accountants, but also casinos, real estate agents, dealers in precious metals and gems, financial institutions, insurance providers, NGOs, churches and other charitable organisations, trusts and company service providers, deposit takers, money lenders, micro finance and other financial service providers, forex bureaus, investment and asset managers, money transfer service providers, underwriters, among others.
Every accountable person or entity must apply for registration with the Authority by submitting a prescribed form containing the information below:
- Name of accountable person: Name of the accountable entity
- Age: Name of representative
- Date of birth: Industry
- Telephone number: Date of incorporation or registration
- Postal address: Registration Number
- Physical address: Telephone number
- Email address: Postal address
- Tax Identification Number: Physical address
- National Identification Number: Email address
- Professional body or industry: Tax Identification Number
- Profession: Name of Managing Director or CEO; TIN of the Managing Director or CEO
We encourage our clients to take note and action the notice accordingly.
Please do not hesitate to contact the people below should you require further clarity/assistance in this regard.
|Fiona N Magona