Legal Alert | Kenya | County Government Moves to Review the Value of Land
The County Government of Mombasa has, in a Gazette Notice, announced the release of a draft valuation roll, which is available for inspection and viewing by the public at the Offices of the Department of Lands, Housing and Physical Planning, at Bima Tower, Mombasa. Please note that any objection to any entry must be lodged on or before 24 October 2018. See below a detailed copy of the notice.
Procedure of raising an objection
- Lodging a notice of objection with the County Clerk in the prescribed form;
- Appointment of a valuation court by the County Government;
- Publication of a notice of the sitting of the valuation court by the County Clerk seven days before the sitting;
- Hearing of objections to the draft valuation roll which can be made in person or through an Advocate;
- Amendment of the draft valuation roll by the valuation court by way of reduction, increase, addition or omission provided that no amendments shall be made unless the rateable owner has been given 14 days’ notice of the proposed amendments and the date of the sitting of the valuation court at which such amendment would be considered;
- Any objections to the amendment of the valuation roll to be lodged by the rateable owner in writing and to be considered by the valuation court.
Any person who is aggrieved by the decision of the valuation court may appeal within one month of the date of publication of the valuation roll (after the decision of the valuation court) to the Environment and Land Court provided that, where the valuation court was appointed under authority of the Cabinet Secretary, Ministry of Devolution, then an appeal would lie with the Chief Magistrate, Senior Resident Magistrate or Resident Magistrate. The valuation roll shall come into force at the commencement of the financial year for which it has been prepared.
|Mona K. Doshi
The content of this alert is intended to be of general use only and should not be relied upon without seeking specific legal advice on any matter.