Wangoi Karuga | Principal Associate | Anjarwalla & Khanna
Wangoi Karuga is a Principal Associate in Anjarwalla & Khanna’s Tax Department. Wangoi has over five years’ experience in providing accounting and taxation services to a wide range of local and multinational clientele.
Wangoi handles tax advisory services, transfer pricing policy review and documentation, tax due diligence and tax structuring. She has vast knowledge and considerable experience in income tax, VAT, withholding tax, tax advisory and structuring, as well as commercial law aspects such as reorganization, mergers and acquisitions.
2016: Postgraduate Diploma in Law, Kenya School of Law
2013: Bachelors of Law (LLB), Second Class Honours (Upper Division), University of Nairobi
2013: Certified Public Secretary (KASNEB)
2012: Association of Chartered Certified Account (ACCA), Strathmore University
JUN 2019 – DATE: Principal Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
SEP 2016 – JUN 2019: Senior advisor, KPMG Kenya
JAN 2017 – MAY 2017: Assistant Manager, KPMG LLP UK (London Office)
SEPT 2013 – AUG 2016: Associate, KPMG Kenya
JAN 2014 – DEC 2014: Assistant Lecturer, Strathmore University
Awards & Accolades
- Africa facilitator program, KPMG, 2016
Areas of Expertise
- Corporate / commercial Law
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Advising a multi-jurisdictional company in respect of the restructuring of the Group entities situated in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, and Mauritius to achieve a tax efficient holding company structure.
- Advising one of the leading global private investment firms in acquiring one of the biggest online and mobile payments companies on tax due diligence of 13 African countries and post-acquisition restricting and advice.
- Providing structuring and tax advice to a Nigerian based company on its proposed acquisition of an interest in a Kenyan Bank.
- Advising a Kenyan based company on a KRA tax dispute of KES 9 billion on various tax heads such as corporation tax with interest on royalties, VAT and custom duties.
- Assistance with and resolution of Kenya Revenue Authority Audit on one of the largest Pharmaceutical industry in Kenya.
- Providing legal and tax advice to a Kenyan based company on its proposed establishment of a Special Economic Zone (SEZ) in Mombasa, Kenya.