Shellomith Irungu | Partner | Anjarwalla & Khanna
Shellomith is a Partner in Anjarwalla & Khanna’s (A&K) Banking & Finance department. She had previously worked at A&K for 8 years before rejoining the firm in 2019. Immediately prior to joining A&K, Shellomith was Director and Head of the Banking and Finance department at the ALN Uganda firm – MMAKS Advocates. She has also worked independently as lead legal counsel for Hashi Energy in connection with the disposal of its downstream business in Kenya and as legal adviser to Lake Turkana Wind Power and Elgon Road Developments during their construction of the Lake Turkana wind farm and the Radisson Blu Hotel, Nairobi respectively.
Shellomith holds a LL.M in International Banking and Finance Law from the University College London and an LL.B from the University of Nairobi. She is admitted to the Kenyan bar and is qualified to be a certified public accountant.
Membership in Professional Societies
- Law Society of Kenya
- East Africa Law Society
- M, International Banking and Finance Law (Distinction), University College London
- Diploma in Law (Bar Course), Kenya School of Law
- B (Hons.), University of Nairobi
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) graduate
NOV 2019 – DATE: Partner, Anjarwalla & Khanna
JAN 2018 – JAN 2019: Director, Head of Banking and Finance department, MMAKS Advocates
APR 2016 – DEC 2017: Lead Legal Counsel, Hashi Energy Limited
FEB 2016 – SEPT 2016: Legal Adviser, Elgon Road Developments Limited
APR 2015 – FEB 2016: Legal Adviser, Lake Turkana Wind Power Limited
APR 2011 – JUL 2011: Associate (Secondee) Stephenson Harwood, London
OCT 2005 – SPT 2013: Pupil to Senior Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna
Areas of Expertise
- Banking & Finance
- Corporate & Commercial
Prior to joining A&K, Shellomith advised on the following matters:
- Acting for Hashi Energy, then the fifth largest oil marketing company in Kenya, in connection with the disposal of their downstream business.
- Acting for Lake Turkana Wind Power in connection with their internal restructuring process during the construction phase of the Lake Turkana wind farm as well as on employment and contractual matters.
- Acting for Elgon Road Developments, the company charged with the construction of the Radisson Blu Hotel in Nairobi in connection with various contractor claims and debt and equity restructuring.
- Acting for Societe De Promotion Et De Participation Pour La Cooperation Economique S.A (PROPARCO) and Nederlandse Financierings Maatschappij Voor Ontwikkelingslanden N.V (FMO) in connection with their USD 30 million senior unsecured loan to Development Finance Company of Uganda, including undertaking a limited due diligence on the Ugandan entity, reviewing the loan documentation and issuing a validity, capacity and enforceability opinion to the lender in connection with the transaction.
- Acting for PROPARCO and FMO in connection with a USD 40 million financing to Sugar Corporation of Uganda for the construction of a hydropower plant, including conducting a due diligence on the borrower, advising on Ugandan law issues, reviewing the finance documents, drafting of the Ugandan law security documents and issuing a legal opinion on the capacity, validity and enforceability of the documentation from a Ugandan law perspective.
In her time at A&K, Shellomith advised on the following transactions amongst others:
- Acting as local counsel for OPIC in connection with its financing of the Wananchi Group to the tune of USD 72 million, including undertaking a due diligence on the Wananchi Group companies in Kenya, reviewing the loan documentation prepared by OPIC’s US counsel, advising on local law issues pertinent to the loan documentation, preparing the Kenyan security documents, liaising with counsel in Uganda and Tanzania in preparing advice and local law documentation and handling closing and post-closing matters.
- Acting as legal counsel for IFC in connection with its financing of the Spencon Group, including preparing and reviewing loan and security documentation and providing local law advice in connection with the transaction.
- Acting as legal counsel to a consortium of 6 local lenders (Bank of Africa, Barclays Bank, CfC Stanbic Bank, Diamond Trust Bank, NIC Bank and Prime Bank) in connection with the USD 50 million facility to Nakumatt Holdings, then the largest FMCG company in Kenya, with operations in East Africa.
- Acting as the local counsel for Standard Chartered Bank Dubai, UAE, in connection with a bond and guarantee facility to Spencon Services for purposes of providing bid bonds in connection with the borrower’s construction and engineering services, including reviewing the loan documentation, advising the lenders on the appropriate local security structure, drafting and negotiating the appropriate securities over the receivables in connection with the contracts financed by the lender, issuing a capacity, validity and enforceability legal opinion and co-ordinating Ugandan and Tanzanian counsel in the completion of the transaction in their jurisdictions.
- Acting for Fortis Bank in connection with its USD 20 million financing of petroleum purchases by Triton Energy Kenya.
- Acting for RVR and its affiliates, the railway company which has been given a 25 year concession by the Kenyan and Ugandan Governments to operate rail services in Kenya and Uganda respectively, in connection with the loan of USD 181 million granted by seven local and international lenders including IFC, KfW, FMO, AfDB and Equity Bank; including reviewing and negotiating the loan and security documents and providing legal advice in connection with the financing.
- Undertaking a detailed due diligence for Allied Technologies of South Africa in connection with its acquisition of a controlling stake in Kenya Data Networks, a leading full service digital communications data operator in Kenya; Swift Global Kenya, a leading internet service provider in Kenya and Tanzania; and Infocom which offers broadband, internet and IT services in Uganda.