PAUL MUTEGI | PRINCIPAL ASSOCIATE | ANJARWALLA & KHANNA
Paul Mutegi is a tax principal associate with Anjarwalla & Khanna. With a Kenyan law diploma, post-graduate certificate in arbitration from the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Kenya Chapter), an LLB from the University of Nairobi, and as a qualified Certified Public Accountant, Paul is well positioned to counsel on both Kenyan and offshore tax laws in complex commercial context.
Paul provides tax advice on matters affecting clients in various sectors, including banking, insurance, finance, agriculture, power, beverages, and construction. Paul provides advice on various tax aspects, including VAT, withholding tax, transfer pricing, capital allowances and deductibility of expenses. He also has extensive experience in transactional matters and has advised on a variety of due diligence exercises in a variety of debt and equity capital market transactions and acquisitions.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- Law Society of Kenya
- Associate Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Kenya Chapter)
- Associate Member, Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya
2014: Postgraduate Diploma in Law, Kenya School of Law
2013: Post graduate Certificate in Arbitration, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Kenya Chapter)
2011: Bachelor of Laws. LL.B, University of Nairobi
2011: Certified Public Accountant, CPA (K)
2017 – DATE: Principal Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna Advocates, Nairobi
2015 – DATE: Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna Advocates, Nairobi
2012- 2015: Tax Consultant, Ernst & Young LLP, Nairobi
2011 – 2011: Legal Assistant, Muthoga Gaturu & Co. Advocates, Nairobi
2010 – 2010: Intern, International Committee of the Red Cross, Nairobi Regional Delegation
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Corporate and Commercial
- Corporate M&A
- Private Equity
- Acting for Vipingo Ridge on its development of a five-star residential and golfing resort with two 18-hole Championship Golf Courses on 1,500 acres in Kilifi, on the coast of Kenya, including advising on power purchase arrangements for the development, liaising with the Energy Regulatory Commission and Kenya Power and Lighting Company for the relevant permits and contracts required for such power supply and distribution arrangements, negotiating and preparing contractual documentation for residential unit sales.
- Providing tax and regulatory advice to Africa’s Voices Foundation (AVF UK) is a UK registered charity. AVF UK uses digital communication to gauge opinions and attitudes of people living in Africa, with a view to assisting them participate more effectively in development and governance debates.
- Assisting the Japan External Trade Organization to set up in Kenya; JETRO is a government-related organization working to promote mutual trade between Japan and the rest of the world; JETRO required advice on structuring their global enterprise and tax exemption within Kenya.
- Acting for Catalyst Fund II LLC in reorganizing their corporate structure in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and Mauritius so as to optimize its tax structure. Catalyst Fund II LLC is a private equity fund focused on mid-cap investments in East Africa.
- Paul assisted the International Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), in setting up a presence in Kenya and in leveraging the most efficient tax structure based on their global footprint.
- Providing regulatory and tax advice to Tullow Kenya on the construction of a pipeline from South Lokichar to Lamu for the export of crude oil from their offshore blocks. This involved providing tax advice on the most efficient manner to implement the project as well as drafting terms of a proposed Upstream Host Government Agreement negotiated with the Ministry for National Treasury and the Kenya Revenue Authority.
- Advising Elicio NV, Belgium and the IFC in undertaking a wind power project in Mpeketoni, spanning an area in excess of 800 hectares and projected to generate an installed capacity of 90 MW in clean energy under a PPP model (develop-fund-operate) with the Government of Kenya.
- Advising CCTV, the major state television broadcaster in mainland China, on its establishment of an Africa regional hub in Nairobi. Including advising on employment matters.