Anjarwalla & Khanna advises clients across all fields of IP, including trade marks and franchising, patents, industrial designs and utility models, anti-counterfeit procedures, copyright and plant breeders’ rights. The A&K IP practice has been ranked in the World Trademark Review’s WTR1000 rankings for the world’s leading trade mark professionals (2017) and in Managing Intellectual Property. A&K is a member of INTA, a global association of trademark owners and professionals.
Representative matters include:
- Acting for Eastern and Southern African Trade and Development Bank (formerly PTA Bank), in connection with the filing and prosecution of registration applications in respect of new trade marks, including direct national filings in nine African countries and an international Madrid application covering twenty five jurisdictions, following the Bank’s global rebranding.
- Acting for Global Tea & Commodities (Kenya), a commodities trading company, and Gold Crown Beverages (K), a subsidiary of Global Tea & Commodities, UK, both associate companies of Global Tea & Commodities, UK, a producer and supplier of tea, coffee and macadamia nuts for private label markets in Europe and Africa, in connection with the registration and protection of its various signature brands, comprising of Kericho Gold, Easytea, Baraka Chai, including undertaking and coordinating with affiliates across Africa, such as South Africa, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Mozambique, Uganda and Tanzania, among others, on the preliminary due diligence with regard to the registration of marks; advising the client on the effects of disclaiming certain elements of their brand; giving advice on colour trademarks and registration of colour trademark in Kenya; monitoring the status of the registered trademark to ward off infringement; issuance of Cease and Desist letters in respect of infringement of trademark; advising on potential contentious matters that could end up in court; and advising on multijurisdictional intellectual property registration systems such as OAPI regime and Madrid Trademark Regime.
- Acting for Maarifa Edu Holdings and Cavendish Africa Mauritius, in connection with filing and prosecution of various trade mark applications on behalf of Cavendish Africa Mauritius in a number of African countries, including Kenya, Nigeria, Zambia, Ethiopia, Ghana, South Africa, Tanzania and Uganda.
- Acting for Solvochem East Africa, a leading international supplier and manufacturer of chemicals and solvents in bulk quantities, in connection with filing and prosecution of its trademarks in various African countries, including Kenya, Nigeria, Zambia, Angola, Ghana, Tanzania, Uganda and making a regional application under OAPI.
- A&K acted for Equity Group Holdings (the Buyer), a company listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange, the Uganda Stock Exchange and the Rwanda Stock Exchange, in connection with its acquisition of 79% of the share capital of ProCredit Bank Congo S.A., a joint stock company established in accordance with the laws of the Democratic Republic of Congo, from Belgische Investeringsmaatschappij voor Ontwikkelingslanden N.V., Stichting DOEN and ProCredit Holding AG & Co. KGaA (the Sellers), including advising Equity Group Holding, on the best trade marks licensing structure and preparing and perfecting all the trade mark licensing documentation between Equity Group Holding and the acquired bank.
- A&K acted for Export Trading Group, a shareholder in Shanta Retail Group which owns a 25% stake in Choppies Enterprises Kenya. Choppies Enterprises Kenya is a Kenyan company that was established by Choppies, an African supermarket chain and a public company listed in Botswana and South Africa, for the purposes of acquisition of the assets and business owned by Ukwala Group of Companies and Ukwala Supermarkets, including 10 branches owned by the Ukwala group of companies. A&K’s IP practice advised on the assignment of Ukwala Supermarkets’ trade marks to Choppies as well as the temporary licensing structure of the assigned trade marks to Ukwala.
- Acting for Al Rama International FZCO, a trader dealing with chemicals & allied products and located in Dubai, in connection with filing and prosecution of approximately forty trade mark registration applications across Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.
- Acting for Crown Beverages, the most reputable bottler of natural mineral water in East Africa that was acquired by SABMiller, a multinational brewing and beverage company, in connection with filing and prosecution of various trade marks and national industrial applications as well as maintaining its Kenyan portfolio of trademarks.
- Acting for Libya Oil Kenya, a downstream petroleum company operating in the Kenyan market, in connection with filing and prosecution of various trade mark applications and maintaining its Kenyan portfolio of trade marks.
- Acting for Off Grid Electric, a provider of clean and transformative power in Rwanda and Tanzania, including conducting availability searches and giving advice on the suitable classes for registration of various trade marks in Kenya.
Please click here to see our Intellectual Property Practice brochure.
For more information on Anjarwalla & Khanna’s intellectual property expertise, please contact ANNE KIUNUHE and SHEM OTANGA.