Mesfin Tafesse | Principal Attorney
Mesfin Tafesse is the founder and Principal Attorney of Mesfin Tafesse & Associates (MTA). He has over 25 years of legal experience in the private, public, and civil society sectors in Ethiopia. Mesfin is a top-rated attorney with substantial experience representing multinational investors in sectors including power and energy, banking and finance, M&A, oil and gas and infrastructure. He is recognized by Chambers & Partners, Legal 500 and ILFR1000 as Band I legal service provider in Ethiopia.
2000-2001: LL.M in International Business Law, University of London
1984-1989: LL.B from Addis Ababa University
- Ethiopian Lawyers’ Association
- 2007 to DATE: Principal Attorney, Mesfin Tafesse & Associates
- 2003- 2007: Commissioner, Civil Service Commission
- 2001-2003: External Relations and Mobilization Director, Ministry of Capacity Building
- 2000-2000: Justice System Reform Program Co-director, Ministry of Capacity Building
- 1999-2001: Head of the Civil Cases Dept., The Ministry of Justice
- 1997-1999: Senior Prosecutor, Ministry of Justice
- 1993-1997: Judge/Senior Judge, Public Service Commission
- 1992-1993: Legal Service Head, Meher Fibre Products Company
- 1989-1992: Pleader, National Textiles Corporation
Areas of expertise
- Business & Investment Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Project Financing
- Power & Energy
- Acting for the International Finance Cooperation (IFC) in connection with the Scaling Solar Project aimed at generating 500MW solar energy.
- Acting for ENEL Green Power (ENEL) in connection with its bid for the 100 MW Metehara Solar Photovoltaic Electricity Generating Facility Project as issued by the Ethiopian Electric Power.
- Acting for TetraTech, an American consulting firm, in connection with the implementation of the Power Africa project.
- Acting for Heineken Breweries in connection with its investments and on-going transactions in Ethiopia.
- Acting for Deutsche Investitions-und Entwicklungsgesellschaft (DEG) and European Investment Bank (EIB in connection with their Investment in an Ethiopian technology company.
- Acting for the Ministry of Finance and Economic Cooperation in the drafting of the Public Private Partnership Policy and Proclamation.
- Acting for BASF, largest chemical producer in the world, in connection with setting up a manufacturing plant in Ethiopia.
- Acting for or advising Goldman Sachs, Standard Chartered, Morgan Stanley, China Development Bank, China EXIM Bank, CAD Fund, ICICI, IDA South Africa, Pricewaterhouse Coopers (PwC), Deloitte, KPMG, Samsung Africa, Mastercard and Natixis in connection with their banking, finance and project financing transactions in Ethiopia.
- Facilitating the SAB Miller and AB InBev merger notification and approval at the Ethiopian Trade Competition and Consumer Protection Authority.
- Acting for the Vasari group, Veris Investments, 54 Capital, the Abraaj Group, Shultz Global Investments, Essilor Middle East Ltd., IFFCO Group, Zoscales Partners and in connection with their various merger and acquisition transactions in Ethiopia.
- Acting for YARA, Newmont Corporation, Allana Potash Corporation, Israel Chemical, Sheba Exploration (Centamin), Stratex East Africa, Kefi Minerals, Marathon Oils, Ethio-Potash Corporation, Gemfields, NovaPotash, Schulumberger, Fura Gems, Vale on their mining and exploration transactions in Ethiopia.
- Acting for Frigorifico Boran Foods, Export Trading Group, KBA Metal Print, Kanoria Chemicals and Industries, Universal Plastic, Axreal Group, Oxford Group, Godrej in connection with their manufacturing businesses in Ethiopia.
- Acting for Starwood Hotels, Hilton World Wide and Four Seasons in connection with their investments in the tourism and hospitality sectors in Ethiopia.
- Acting for Wilmar International in investment and corporate advisory and court proceedings.