Mekdes Megzebu | Consultant and Attorney-at-Law
Mekdes Mezgebu is a Consultant and Attorney at Law with over 10 years of experience in the legal field. Mekdes is licensed to practice at all federal courts of Ethiopia. At MTA, Mekdes particularly focuses on energy and infrastructure projects, project finance, PPP, merger and acquisition deals, investment and corporate laws. Mekdes has been involved as a senior associate in several transactions involving private sector development of power and energy, acquisition deals involving private equity firms and strategic investors. She also represents clients before judicial organs and administrative tribunals.
2008: Master of Laws [LLM], Ohio Northern University, USA
2006: Bachelor of Laws [LLB], Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Ethiopian Women Lawyers Association
JUN 2014 – DATE: Consultant and Attorney-at-Law, Mesfin Tafesse & Associates
FEB 2016: Secondee, Linklaters LLC. London, United Kingdom
2013 – JUN 2014: Independent Researcher and Consultant, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
SEPT – DEC 2012: Part-time lecturer, Addis Ababa University, School of Law
OCT 2008 – 2012: Program Officer, United Nations Development Program (UNDP) based at the Ethiopian institution of the ombudsman
JAN 2010 – 2012: Program and International Relations Advisor, Office of the Chief Ombudsman
Areas of expertise
- Power & Energy
- Project Finance
- Infrastructure & PPP
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Corporate & Investment Law
- Acting for the International Finance Corporation (IFC) in connection with the Scaling Solar Project, a project aiming to produce up-to 500MW solar energy power by private sector developers.
- Acting for ENEL Green Power, a leading global energy company, on the procurement of a 100MW Solar energy generation power in Metehara, Ethiopia.
- Assisting clients in the potential PPP transaction involving the Ethiopian Electric Power (EEP) and Ethiopian Electric Utility (EEU) in connection with the building, constructing, financing and transferring electricity transmission and distribution lines.
- Acting for Persistent Energy Capital in connection with its potential investment in the solar energy sector in Ethiopia.
- Acting for Ansar Law Firm in with the development of project agreements in the hydro and wind power sectors.
- Advising a UK company in connection with the potential acquisition of Afriflora, subsidiary of the largest private equity firm in the world, KKR Private Equity.
- Acting for Gebeya Media in connection with its corporate restructuring and investment expansion in Ethiopia.
- Acting for PVH Corporation, in connection with its existing investments in the textile sector in Ethiopia.
- Acting for China Logistics in connection with its potential acquisition of the National Tobacco Enterprise.
- Acting for Abraaj Group in connection with its potential acquisition of a health facility in Ethiopia.
- Acting for Poten Environmental Group in connection with its potential acquisition of Netafim, an Israeli drip irrigation company, .
- Acting for Kuramo Management Capital, in connection with its existing investments in Ethiopia.
- Acting for Boortmalt Ethiopia, a leading French malting company, in connection with its malting and manufacturing business in Ethiopia.
- Acting for DAL Group, a leading Sudanese dairy company, in connection with its proposed investment in Ethiopia.
- Acting for Girl Effect Trading, a UK branding company in connection with its existing projects in Ethiopia.
- Acting for Sentinel Steel Ethiopia in connection with its investment in the steel manufacturing sector.
- Acting for EX-IM Global Investment in connection with a potential investment in the Livestock sector and partnership with a local company.
- Acting for the Clinton Foundation connection with a potential Last Mile Distribution pilot project in Ethiopia.
- Acting for YenePay Technology Services, a start-up technology company in Ethiopia.
- Acting for Blue Media, a marketing and entertainment company, in connection with its various contractual agreements with clients.