Foued Bourabiat | Partner
Foued Bourabiat started his career at the Algiers office of a leading French law firm. His recent experience includes assisting and advising various major investors and credit institutions in respect of investments and financings in the MENA region, including in Algeria. He has been involved in complex cross-border financing transactions and cutting edge Islamic finance deals.
Before establishing Bourabiat Associés, Foued spent eight years at top-tier international law firms in Paris, Hogan Lovells LLP and Herbert Smith Freehills LLP.
- 2000: Post-graduate degree in English and American Business law, University of Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne
- 2001: LLM, King’s College London
- International Bar Association
- September 2012 To date : Founding Partner, Bourabiat Associés
- 2006 to 2012: Associate, Herbert Smith Freehills
- 2004 to 2006: Associate, Hogan Lovells
Areas of expertise
- Acting for Actis LLP, a leading growth markets investor, in connection with the acquisition of a meaningful stake in Medis Group, a prominent branded generic pharmaceuticals business in Algeria and Tunisia, from Africinvest one of the key PanAfrican Mid Cap PE players, and from the founding Boujbel family, on one the few deals involving a major private equity fund and the first deal in Algeria for Actis, including carrying out legal due diligence and negotiating and drafting the corporate documentation regarding all the Algerian legal aspects of the deal.
- Acting for Arab Petroleum Investments Corporation (APICORP), a multilateral development bank, in connection with the completion of an innovative Sharia-compliant financing facility for Oil Recovery Services SAL (ORS Sal) and the first of its kind for APICORP in the Algerian market, including drafting and negotiating the Algerian security package and coordinating transaction advice across Algeria.
- Acting for Ajinomoto, a leading Japanese food and ingredients maker, in connection with the acquisition of a 33.33% stake in Promasidor Holdings Limited, a major processed foods manufacturer that conducts business in 36 countries in Africa, for USD 532 million, the first large acquisition for Ajinomoto in the African market, including carrying out legal due diligence and negotiating and drafting the corporate documentation regarding all the Algerian legal aspects of the deal.
- Acting for two leading Japanese and German automobile manufacturers, in connection with the construction of two vehicle assembly plants in Algeria, including structuring the deal, negotiation with Algerian local partners and authorities and setting-up of the project.
- Acting for Emerging Capital Partners (ECP), a private equity fund focusing on emerging markets, on the acquisition of a 33% stake in Atlas Bottling Corporation (ABC), the exclusive PepsiCo bottler in Algeria, as part of an $80m investment plan.
- Acting for Danone, a major French international consumer goods company, in relation to the acquisition of one of its main competitors on the Algerian dairy product market.