Teshome is managing partner of Teshome Gabre-Mariam Bokan based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
He started his legal career as the Legal Advisor of Ethiopian Airlines. He has also served as the Attorney General and Minister of State at the Ministry of Mines and Energy in the Government of Ethiopia.
Teshome has represented both governmental and private clients in various aspects of law. In the public sector, he has advised the United Nations on matters pertaining to the revitalization of the mining industry of many African nations. Part of the services included the drafting of new mining and investment codes. He also represents large mining companies in connection with various major projects.
Teshome is consistently ranked as a leading lawyer by leading legal directory Chambers Global. He is also recognised by Who’s Who Legal as a leading mining lawyer.
Teshome graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree at the University College of Addis Ababa and moved on to obtain a Bachelor of Civil Law degree at McGill University, Canada. Teshome then became a member of the Institute of Air and Space law, McGill University. He graduated with a diplôma de droit compare at the Faculty of Comparative Law, International University of Comparative Science, Luxembourg and became a member of the Economic Development Institute, Washington.
Teshome is fluent in English, French and Italian.
- Member, Institute of Air and Space Law, McGill University, Canada
- Member, Economic Development Institute, Washington D.C., USA
- Diplome de Droit Compare, Faculty of Comparative Law, International University of Comparative Sciences, Luxembourg
- LL.B, Civil Law, McGill University, Canada
- B.A., University of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
1982 – DATE Managing Partner, Teshome Gabre-Mariam Bokan Law Firm
1989 – 1995 Partner, Mitchell, Friedlander, Gittleman and Teshome, Washington D.C., USA
1967 – 1984 Deputy Minister and later Minister of State, Ministry of Mines and Energy, Ethiopia
1965 – 1967 Attorney General, Ethiopia
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
- Teshome is consistently ranked by Chambers Global as a leader in his field.
- Teshome is described as ” someone who has an insight into law-making and the policy behind it.” He is also valued for his “grasp of a great range of subjects,”by Chambers Global 2014
- Who’s Who Legal recognises Teshome as a leading mining lawyer.
- One of the most skilled lawyers in the country – he’s proactive and his knowledge of local law is flawless’ – Chambers Global 2009
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Banking and Finance
- Corporate and Commercial
- Energy, Natural and Renewable Resources
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Projects & Infrastructure
- Legal counsel to Canaco Resources Inc. a company incorporated and registered in Canada and its wholly owned subsidiary, Canaco Ethiopia (Barbados) Inc. in connection with Canaco Ethiopia’s acquisition of 70% of the outstanding shares of Beijing Donia Resources Co. Ltd in an Ethiopian entity, Harvest Mining Private Limited Company.
- Legal counsel to Golden Prospect Mining Company Limited (100% owned by Minerva Resources Plc which in turn is owned by Nyota Minerals Limited, an Australian company listed on the Australia and UK stock exchanges), the largest shareholder in Yubdo Platinum and Development PLC (a private limited company registered in Ethiopia) undertaking mining in Western Welega Zone, Oromia Region, Ethiopia and in Tulu Kapi.
- Adviser to PDL Toll, an Australian publicly listed company and the Asian leading provider of integrated logistics services registered in Ethiopia and providing professional support services to BHP Billiton World Exploration Inc. (“BHPB”) in support of its Danakil Potash Exploration Project.
- Adviser to Boart Longyear, leading provider of mineral exploration drilling services and drilling products headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah and publicly listed on the ASX (Australian Securities Exchange) in Australia, in relation to its drilling works in the mining sector in Ethiopia.
- Special Ethiopian counsel to New Age (African Global Energy) Limited on Petroleum Production Sharing Agreements executed with the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia and a proposed placing of ordinary shares and admission to trading to the TSX Venture Exchange of the Company’s share capital.