Parks Tafa is a Senior Partner at Collins Newman & Co, the largest law firm in Botswana and has been with the Firm for 20 years. He has an outstanding track record a lawyer with a long career with considerable experience both as a business-transactional lawyer and in the running of boards. One of the highlights of his career was his appointment by BPC as the Principal Legal Advisor on the BWP 12 Billion Morupule B Project and US$16 Billion Mmamabula Power Project.
1991 Bachelor of Laws, University of Botswana
2004 – DATE Managing Partners, Collins Newman & Co.
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
- Parks is consistently ranked by Chambers Global as a leader in his field
- PLC Which Lawyer? 2011 recognises Parks as a top corporate and commercial lawyer
Parks has been on the main Board of Stanbic Bank Botswana as a non- executive director since 2004 and currently holds the position of Chairman of the Board of Directors to the position of Chairman since September 2008. He is also currently serving on the following boards:
- Chairman of the governing Council of Northside Primary School
- University of Botswana Council
- Chairman of the Board of Stanbic Investment Management Services (“SIMS”)
- Chairman of the Board of Liberty Life Botswana
- Wilderness Safaris Holdings
- Former member of the Board of PEEPA (2001-2007)
- Acting as lead counsel for Botswana Public Officers Medical Aid Scheme in the sequestration and the subsequent sale of assets of Bokamoso Private Hospital for BWP247 million and appointed as lead advisor in the on-going ‘work-out and re-structuring programme’ of the hospital.
- Acting for Cathay Fortune Investment in the proposed acquisition of Discovery Metals Limited valued at AUD830 million.
- Acting on the Scheme of Arrangement and acquisition by Cupric Canyon Capital of Hana Mining.
- Acting on the listing of Hana Mining on the Botswana Stock Exchange valued at BWP170 million.
- Acting for the African Export-Import Bank in the USD40 million facility to African Banking Corporation Group.
- Acting for Bank of India in the financing of diamond sight-holders valued at BWP128 million.
- Acting for First National Bank of Botswana in the financing of Bokamoso Private Hospital.
- Acting for Discovery Metals Limited in the syndicated financing of Boseto Copper Mine Project.
- Acting for Sasol Petroleum International & Origin Energy of Australia in the multi million US Dollar exploration project for Coal Bed Methane.
- Representing the Government of the Republic of Botswana in respect of the Public Sector Strike and subsequently obtaining an interdict to restrain the strike.
- Acting for the developers and Botswana Railways as lead counsel in the BWP 400 million commercial Rail Park Mall Development.
- Acting for the developers of Rail Park Mall Development in the raising of syndicated senior debt.
- Acting for Botswana Development Corporation in the mixed-use multi-story BWP500 million Fairscape Precinct Project in Fairgrounds, Gaborone and in the BWP 700 million Float Glass Project in Palapye.
- Acting for PEEPA in the Development of Privatisation Strategies for Botswana Power Corporation and the Electrical Supply Industry with AF Mercados as lead counsel.
- Acting for Morupule Mine Coal in respect of supply agreements with NamPower.
OTHER RELEVANT EXPERIENCE
- Ongoing legal Advisory services on behalf of the Lenders in respect of the securitisation of a BWP 1.2 billion loan to Morupule Colliery Limited Expansion Project.
- The IPO of Wilderness Holdings Limited.
- The ongoing listing of Hana Mining (Pty) Limited on the Botswana Stock Exchange.
- Legal advisor to Hana Mining Limited developers of copper-silver mining project in the Ghanzi District, Botswana and recently been involved in international fund initiatives for the project.
- Acting as lead legal advisor in the development of Morupule B Power Expansion Project (EPC contract signed November Advising BPC in USD1.4 Billion of Phase I of Morupule power 2008, financial close – June 2009 and currently under construction), developed predominantly as a project finance transaction.
- Appointed side by side with Clifford Chance to advise on the development of 270 MW coal-bed methane power plant in Orapa/Mmashoro on behalf of a major export-credit agency in North America.
- Currently lead counsel in the setting up of large regional media and technology private equity fund.
- Drafted amendments to Electricity Supply legislation to allow Independent Power Producers promulgated by the Parliament in December 2007.
- Acting for Standard Chartered Trade Service Corporation in funding arrangement for diamond off-take Agreement with a Botswana based sight- holder in a USD16 Million bid.
- Acting for the Standard Bank Group in the P279 million re-capitalisation of the local banking subsidiary.
- Acting currently as Botswana Counsel as part of an International consortium lead by Mott McDonald engaged by the Government of Botswana to set up a multi-sectional Energy and Water Regulatory Authority, which includes drafting primary legislation and legal framework to be presented to Parliament for the setting up of Botswana Energy and Water Regulatory Authority.